Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Temporary FlightGear Launcher for OS X Yosemite

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Temporary FlightGear Launcher for OS X Yosemite

Postby mftetsudou38125 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:43 am

Since I downloaded OS X Yosemite on my computer, I haven't been able to play FlightGear. Yes, I figured out that using the terminal launched the app just fine, but I thought that some people might needed more help. Besides, who wants to type that code every time?

So this afternoon I wrote this app for FlightGear. It's meant to be a temporary replacement for the official FlightGear launcher app. It doesn't let you choose many options - in fact, you can only choose aircrafts, airports, and that's it.

But it works. And it's easy. And that's what's important. It even digs up the list of the planes:

You can download it from http://www.mediafire.com/download/a52l89u821c7493/FlightGear+Launcher.app.zip, and I hope somebody is helped by it. Again, it's just for the time when the FlightGear Launcher doesn't support Yosemite, which it probably will in a while.

By the way, if you use and find bugs, please report to me so that I can fix it. Also, please tell me if it gives you errors, because then I can fix it.

Enjoy!
mftetsudou38125

Callsign: BAW128
Version: 3.2

Re: Temporary FlightGear Launcher for OS X Yosemite

Postby mftetsudou38125 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 pm

If it doesn't let you open because 'it's from an unidentified developer', please right-click or control-click the application icon and press open.

So, if this comes up:
then right click the icon
and then click open.

It should allow you to then open the application.
mftetsudou38125

Postby Timus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks a lot for this. Excellent!

mftetsudou38125 - You need to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy then under "General' look for 'Allow apps downloaded from:' Then chose 'Antwhere'
Timus

Postby mftetsudou38125 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:40 pm

someguy - it first gets all the files from /Applications/FlightGear/Contents/Resources/data/Aircraft and then it searches for -set.xml files. I did notice that it is very slow. I imagine that you have many aircrafts, because that would explain why it works on my computer and it doesn't on yours.

I don't know how else to do it. Do you know how the FlightGea Launcher (the official version) on Mac searches for plane? Is there a dictionary that I couldn't find?
mftetsudou38125

Postby CSJ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:11 pm

NICELY DONE! WORKS SO WELL!
Thanks, gooood~ day.
CSJ

Callsign: SJ454
Version: 3.4

Postby ItzSamuraiYT » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:50 am

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much dude!
ItzSamuraiYT

Postby Michat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Than you for your work mftetsudou38125 it seems you are doing happy a lot of people that are suffering that Os upgrade.

I was searching for info about os launcher trying to help my dear friend and awesome FG's pilot Usair26 who upgraded to Yosemite like you.

Talking to dear HerbyW user in Mumble he pointed to me to a git link, where you can find a cross-platform launcher called FGX. He tested OKay.

1.Jut go to this address: https://gitorious.org/fgx/fgx/source/ca319cbd5d9b93c2eabf55ff0e20de6f24e805f0:

2. :arrow: Click on download

3. Open Readme file. Read it.

4. Follow instructions, it is a compilation launched by an easy command- you'll need some dependencies (elements) to satisfy.

Good luck.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby bartosz101 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:14 am

OMG YOU ARE GOD
bartosz101

Postby futureflyer2015 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 am

hi Guys

i'm a newbie to the mac and this amazing open source simulator. I have also recently updated my mac to the yosemite upgrade, and because of this i'm not able to get the launcher too... :( and even more sad is the fact that experienced mac users are not explaining a step by step guide for the people who are completely clueless to this problem all i see is terminal fgsf and so on, but how do these work? do i copy and paste the contents of this file into the terminal? and how do i activate it when its in there? i'm really confused! i hope you guys can help me i'm a bit frustrated to say the least

cheers
futureflyer2015

Postby mftetsudou38125 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Ok I'll get you some help. I don't know why my application is working, but if you want to use terminal, here are the steps.

First of all, open the application named "terminal". It should be downloaded onto your Mac. If you can't find it, go to Utility folder in the Application folder on Finder.

Then, a white screen with some letters should appear. If you type something, it should be written on the screen. So, there, copy and paste the text below, and hit enter.

Code: Select all
cd /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/

If you finished that without getting an error, copy and paste the code below, and hit enter again. This time, FlightGear should open.

Code: Select all
./fgfs.sh --airport=KSFO --aircraft=c172p

Tell me if it works or not.
mftetsudou38125

Postby PH-DVA » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Didn't work for me. Terminal is telling me that there is no directory or file found and the Yosemite launcher is telling me that it can't find the planes. :(
PH-DVA

Postby Seagull » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Hello folks,

I'm new to GlightGear and new to this forum. I'm not much of a computer geek, although I'm not completely clueless :? I'm running a 27" iMac with Mac OS X Yosemite... and I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know when the Yosemite-compatible version of FG is likely to be released?

2) Launching from the command line works okay on my Mac. But I'd like to fly from my local airfield, which is Compton Abbas in the UK (ICAO code EGHA). However if I run

./fgfs.sh --airport=EGHA --aircraft=c172p

it fires up okay, and it looks like it might even be at the right airfield... but the aircraft is somehow in an unstable state. After yawing, pitching and rolling around for a bit (whilst still apparently on the ground) it crashes and I get a red screen.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Seagull

Postby elgaton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Seagull wrote in Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:14 pm:1) Does anyone know when the Yosemite-compatible version of FG is likely to be released?

In a month's time.

Seagull wrote in Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:14 pm:However if I run

./fgfs.sh --airport=EGHA --aircraft=c172p

it fires up okay, and it looks like it might even be at the right airfield... but the aircraft is somehow in an unstable state. After yawing, pitching and rolling around for a bit (whilst still apparently on the ground) it crashes and I get a red screen.

Does this happen with other aircraft (for example, try with the 777)? In my experience the C172 needs to be flown with great care. The red screen appears because the aircraft is subject to a high force and the pilot experiences redout.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Gijs » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Seagull wrote in Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:14 pm: it fires up okay, and it looks like it might even be at the right airfield... but the aircraft is somehow in an unstable state.

Did you actually install scenery for that airport? By default, FlightGear only comes with a small area around the San Francisco bay. See http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Install_scenery for instructions on obtaining other parts of the world. If you start at a location for which you don't have any scenery, your plane is dropped into the ocean, which might explain the unstable state.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Seagull » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I couldn't get the 777 to load at all, for some reason.

No matter, it was a scenery problem. The instructions for 'doing it manually' are a bit incomplete - you have to extract the 'terrain' and 'objects' folders and put them in the right place. All done now, and working fine. The scenery isn't quite as detailed as I'd like it to be, but hey.

I've been flying the Cub... and yes, you have to be quick on the rudder!
Seagull

Next

Return to Mac