Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Scenery 2.12 download

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Scenery 2.12 download

Postby Ötzi007 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Hello,

I've just installed the new FG 3.0 and the new scenery in the mountains is amazing though takes longer to load, so I wanted to load it down once (only the places I fly) however you can only download the world scenery 2.10, which isn't that amazing as the one you get, if you check the option "Download scenery on fly". Where do I get the newer scenery?

Greets Ötzi
Ötzi007

Re: Scenery 2.12 download

Postby themadgreek » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:44 pm

themadgreek

Callsign: MD-GRK

Postby elgaton » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:28 pm

@Ötzi: you can download it only via TerraSync or a dedicated application like TerraMaster. The scenery can not be downloaded from the FlightGear main Web site due to size limitations. (Note: if you use TerraMaster, you will need to copy the contents of /terrasync/Models to $FG_ROOT/Models for them to be visible).

@themadgreek: the original poster was referring to World Scenery 3.0 (the post title is wrong), which is not available at the link you mentioned.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Ötzi007 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:40 pm

@elgaton: thank you, that was the answer I was looking for.
Is it right, that TerraSync downloads already Scenery 3.0, because on the main page of FG it is said, that Scenery 2.0 was published together with FG 3.0 ?
Ötzi007

Postby elgaton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Whoops - my bad, I meant to say 2.0. (My apologies to you and themadgreek). Moreover, on some pages the scenery version numbers were actually those of the associated FlightGear version, leading to confusion. I'll clarify.
  • World Scenery 1.0 (released in 2008 and updated till 2013) is the old, "simple" scenery version. I think it's what you get from the "2.12" Scenery download page (I checked the timestamps, almost all of them are dated September 2013, whereas the new 2.0 scenery was released in November 2013; this would also confirm your findings).
  • World Scenery 2.0 (released in November 2013) is what you get from TerraSync/TerraMaster or this official torrent (warning, it's a bit outdated). That's the latest version with the improvements you noticed.
  • World Scenery 3.0 is only in the "planning" phase.

Based on this, I believe the "2.12" scenery you can download from the site is in fact World Scenery 1.0 (it was named "2.12" because its latest revision was initially bundled together with FlightGear 2.12, World Scenery 2.0 was published after a month or two). Guess the site was not updated to reflect that.

In short: if your system can handle it (in terms of RAM and disk space consumption), you should get the scenery via TerraSync/TerraMaster.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Return to Mac