Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

Fail to launch Flightgear 3.0 on osX

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

Re: Fail to launch Flightgear 3.0 on osX

Postby someguy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm

What do you mean "won't do them anymore?" I fly all sorts of planes from carriers in 3.0. There is an annoying bug though: if I press shift-escape to reset on Nimitz, the plane respawns at KSFO instead of on the carrier.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 am

That has always done that, mate. And I have concurred with Dave Culp about this. It IS happening, and not just with me. Reseting on carriers has always been there, since the beginning of FG with carrier ops. The reason is:

Your default airport is set to KSFO. You can change this in preferences.xml in your data directory. You can even change the RWY. However, carriers are AI scenarios, and the Nimitz is just an automatically run scenario--it will be there unless you delete the files. Carriers don't count as airports, and they have no runways, so you would have to work hard to find a way to do it. Shift+Escape resets to the "default" airport you have in preferences.xml. Good luck.
HelldiverSquadron

Callsign: Friend
Version: 3.0

Postby someguy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:45 am

HelldiverSquadron wrote in Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 am:That has always done that, mate.

No, it hasn't always done that, at least not on Mac. It started failing with the 3.0 release candidates, or maybe it was 2.12. It worked just fine for years (I started with v. 0.98).

As development continues to splinter into narrow personal projects with inadequate opportunities for testing, regressions are inevitable. Expecting bugs to get fixed is naive, and possibly a little selfish. FG is free, after all, and we can take it or leave it as-is. As long as I can have some fun with it, I'll live happily with the annoying bits. I very much appreciate the efforts of volunteer developers who offer us the gift of pretend-flight. But submitting bug reports is a waste of time, for both you and the one guy who might get around to reading them. If you want it fixed, you'll have to learn to do it yourself, if you can. At least, that's what I've been told.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Gijs » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 am

someguy wrote in Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:45 am: But submitting bug reports is a waste of time, for both you and the one guy who might get around to reading them.

Disagree. While you're of,course encouraged to see if you can fix the bug yourself, bug reports are a great way to collect info about a bug. Anyone could try to reproduce the issue on his/her system (with different aircraft, carriers etc.) and report the results on the tracker. That can be of great help to the people fixing the bug.

Also, if no-one is interested in or capable of fixing the bug at the moment, having a nice report will help to make sure it's not forgotten. While developers do tend to work mostly on their own goodies, that doesn't mean they never operate on carriers (and thus suffer from the issue as much as you do) ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 pm

As development continues to splinter into narrow personal projects with inadequate opportunities for testing, regressions are inevitable. Expecting bugs to get fixed is naive, and possibly a little selfish.

Mate, I don't need to justify myself. All I am saying, as Gijs confirmed, is that a bug report is helpful. I understand that the developers are wonderful people, and they have done a phenomenal job of making a flight simulator as complex as FlightGear.

Carrier ops failed in 2.12, but with the bug fix because of bug reports, they fixed it in 2.12.1.

I don't believe I am being selfish. I completely disagree with you save with your comment on how the developers have done a great job. That's an understatement. They've done an amazing job. Far more than that, even.

Good day to you, sir.

--Friend
HelldiverSquadron

Postby SamM155 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:15 am

Hi,
I have tried to open flightgear 3.0 on Mac OS X Mavericks and it will just keep bouncing on the dock but will never open,
Please Help!!!!!
SamM155

Postby HelldiverSquadron » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Hm. Have you tried removing the old version and the old icon BEFORE downloading the new? Don't delete your Aircraft folder, though. That worked for me when I was helping a mate with the same problem a month ago. Maybe for you?
HelldiverSquadron

Postby VicMar » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:36 am

Hi Sam,

Try this:
1. Try to open FG 3.0 and let the icon bounce a few times then click on your desktop to get 'Finder' back.
2. Under the 'Go' menu click 'Go to Folder' - that should show you the Mac hidden files for FlightGear if it has installed properly.
3. Double-click the log.txt file if it is there and copy and paste the content in your next post in between code marks (icon 5th from the left above the typing field).

If the log.txt file is not there FG hasn't downloaded cleanly. It might be worth downloading FG again and trying that.

HTH

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby VicMar » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 am

Ooops forgot to give you the input for the 'Go to Folder' bit:
Input: ~/Library/Application Support/FlightGear

Cheers