Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

Er, is there a way to install flightgear that WORKS?

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

Er, is there a way to install flightgear that WORKS?

Postby frustratedkabuki » Wed May 05, 2021 12:13 am

Getting so tired of hunting for clues and instructions, finding inconsistent instructions, obsolete instructions, getting pointed to non-existent archives or files... all because I wanted to maybe try a different aircraft on v. 2020.1.x this morning.

So now, I have nothing. Trying to install 'snap', but ... shit! Can't we just use the usual Ubuntu Software Center installer? Why does it have to be so fricking hard and inconsistent?
frustratedkabuki

Re: Er, is there a way to install flightgear that WORKS?

Postby wlbragg » Wed May 05, 2021 3:44 am

Ubuntu Software Center installer

Of course you can, but your stuck with whatever version the Ubuntu people decide to make their current stable.

Linux is typically an OS that requires a bit more than "novice" knowledge about all things computer. Some OS shells such as Ubuntu, try to dummy it down for the masses, but you have to conform to what they deem appropriate or know how to work around it.

None of this helps you get the version your wanting to install though. Using the download_and_compile.sh script or the available PPA type installation should be the next easiest way to get what you want. But it does require some self education to use even these tools to get the version of FG you want. Maybe someone with more time available will step up and walk you through one of these tools. Or try searching the wiki for either of them. Last i looked they were adequately documented.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Er, is there a way to install flightgear that WORKS?

Postby saiarcot895 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:07 am

In the case of Ubuntu, it'll be whatever version happened to be the latest version at the time of the Ubuntu release (so 20.04 will get the latest version as of April 2020, or a bit earlier). After that, it likely won't be upgraded to a newer version, unless you use a PPA.
Saikrishna Arcot

My FlightGear PPAs: FlightGear Stable, FlightGear Development (Edge)
saiarcot895

Callsign: flyhigh
Version: -next PPA

Return to Linux