Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

Using AppImage with Linux Mint  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

Using AppImage with Linux Mint

Postby Steve R. » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 pm

I am using Linux Mint 20.1. FlightGear is no longer available on the Mint repository. I download the AppImage file. Apparantly there are other files that have to be downloaded?

Clicking on the AppImage file gave me a box: "Setup Required Data Files". I filled out the "Choose Folder" button, then clicked on the "Download" button. Nothing happened. I also noted that the "Choose Folder" entry did not seem to "stick" as a selected item. I did get a message: "The chosen location does not appear to contain FlightGear data files."

Are there any subsequent directions as to what to do after downloading the AppImage file?
Steve R.

Re: Using AppImage with Linux Mint  

Postby Patrickt » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:02 am

Steve R. wrote in Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 pm:I am using Linux Mint 20.1. FlightGear is no longer available on the Mint repository. I download the AppImage file. Apparantly there are other files that have to be downloaded?

Yes, the other files contain the information about the world.

Steve R. wrote in Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 pm:Clicking on the AppImage file gave me a box: "Setup Required Data Files". I filled out the "Choose Folder" button, then clicked on the "Download" button. Nothing happened. I also noted that the "Choose Folder" entry did not seem to "stick" as a selected item. I did get a message: "The chosen location does not appear to contain FlightGear data files."

Are there any subsequent directions as to what to do after downloading the AppImage file?

Thanks for reporting these issues, I have success in Ubuntu 20.10, so I'll try Linux Mint 20.1 (thanks for the version information) to see if I can reproduce the issue in order to solve this problem.

In the meantime, if the button "Choose Folder" works to select a folder, here's the link of the "Download" button for 2020.3.6: https://sourceforge.net/projects/flight ... 2/download.

Edit, I meant to add: After downloading and extracting the file, you can select the extracted folder with the "Choose Folder" button, then you should expect to see the launcher.

Cheers,

Patrick T.
Patrickt

Postby Patrickt » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Thanks for reporting these issues, I have success in Ubuntu 20.10, so I'll try Linux Mint 20.1 (thanks for the version information) to see if I can reproduce the issue in order to solve this problem.

So I tried the installer with Linux Mint 20.1 with all three desktop environments at: https://linuxmint.com/download.php, the AppImage performed as expected and similarly to my experience in Ubuntu. From my understanding of the AppImage, it uses an `xdg-utils` tool called `xdg-open` to open the "Download" button's link in your preferred browser, such as the default Firefox, I find ArchLinux's wiki provides a nice overview of this component: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdg-utils

Something you can try is running the AppImage from the command-line (just like any other executable, i.e., `./FlightGear-2020.3.6-x86_64.AppImage`), it should output any errors in the terminal window.

Hope this helps.

Clear skies,

Patrick T.
Patrickt

Postby Steve R. » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks for responding and sharing the results of your testing. I was just getting ready to respond this AM. I downloaded "FlightGear-2020.3.6-data.tar.bz2" and extracted the file to get the folder "fgdata". So when I selected "fgdata" under "Setup Required Data Files", it almost worked. What I got, was the message that the AppImage version that I have is 2020.3.2 which is now the "old" version. The "fgdata" folder contains a newer version -> 2020.3.6.

SUCCESS!! I just booted into FlightGear and it appears to work correctly. Still need to tested and configured.
As a quick note. Evidently, the AppImage version was just updated on Source Forge since I did not receive a version conflict message this time. This AM, after reading your message, I went back and download the program once again from SourceForge.

Thanks for your assistance.
Last edited by Steve R. on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve R.

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:51 pm

yes, 2020.3.6 has been released... it is the current LTS (Long Term Support) version and all the different flavors have been updated to that so everyone should be updating to it as soon as possible... there may be more bug fixes at some point in the future... updates will be needed for them, too...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Steve R. » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Our posts crossed. I downloaded the AppImage once again and this time I was able to boot into FlightGear. Still need to test and configure. Thanks for your assistance.
Steve R.

Return to Linux