Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

Which nightly should I use for Ubuntu?

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

Re: Which nightly should I use for Ubuntu?

Postby zakalawe » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:56 pm

That log file shows the simulator ran for 90 seconds, appearing to work normally. Unfortunately there's nothing in the log about why it closed, but everything was looking fine, and it was pretty far along. So it's not something fundamental like your installation being messed up or missing libraries. My guess would either back system resources (running out memory) or a GPU driver issue, but those are wild guesses indeed.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby hasan550 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:04 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:42 pm::sigh: we still need to see the log... maybe the update will show us something the previous version didn't... please use the same command line options as you did previously...

Downloaded and launched version:
FlightGear-latest-x86_64.AppImage 2021-02-02 22:42
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eqbx8o ... sp=sharing

Maybe I can try using flightgear-latest-nightly.tar.bz2 instead AppImage?
hasan550

Postby hasan550 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:13 pm

zakalawe wrote in Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:56 pm:That log file shows the simulator ran for 90 seconds, appearing to work normally. Unfortunately there's nothing in the log about why it closed, but everything was looking fine, and it was pretty far along. So it's not something fundamental like your installation being messed up or missing libraries. My guess would either back system resources (running out memory) or a GPU driver issue, but those are wild guesses indeed.

Closes immediately after loading and showing the plane.

Installed for the test from here:
http://download.flightgear.org/builds/2020.3/
FlightGear-2020.3.6-data.tar.bz2
FlightGear-2020.3.6-x86_64.AppImage
Works fine

But I would like to get a night build to use Photoscenery: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Photoscenery
hasan550

Postby zakalawe » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:23 pm

Photoscenery is only available in the development builds, so if you're brave you could build from source and see where it crashes, that would help to fix it. Unfortunately with an AppImage it's harder to do that. Of course, building from source is not totally trivial but if you want to live life on the edge, nothing is trivial :)
zakalawe

Postby hasan550 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 am

zakalawe wrote in Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:23 pm:Photoscenery is only available in the development builds, so if you're brave you could build from source and see where it crashes, that would help to fix it. Unfortunately with an AppImage it's harder to do that. Of course, building from source is not totally trivial but if you want to live life on the edge, nothing is trivial :)

it will be very difficult for me)
If I create a separate topic with my own problem, won't that change the situation?
hasan550

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:43 pm

no, it won't... it would also be better to have your own topic for this to keep it separated from the original...

if you are running on debian or an ubuntu based system, the download_and_compile.sh script (aka dnc) will handle everything for you as long as you have the necessary build environment packages installed... IIRC, dnc will handle that, too, if you allow it to install the needed packages...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby hasan550 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 am

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:43 pm:no, it won't... it would also be better to have your own topic for this to keep it separated from the original...

if you are running on debian or an ubuntu based system, the download_and_compile.sh script (aka dnc) will handle everything for you as long as you have the necessary build environment packages installed... IIRC, dnc will handle that, too, if you allow it to install the needed packages...

The problem was solved by installing the Nvidia driver instead of Nouveau!
Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for your help!
Now I will try to use Photoscenery
hasan550

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:18 am

Can you post which version of Nouveau cased the problem? Would be good if other users report the same issue, and the Nouvea developers might even appreciate a bug report.
zakalawe

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 pm

hasan550 wrote in Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 am:The problem was solved by installing the Nvidia driver instead of Nouveau!

excellent!

hasan550 wrote in Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 am:Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for your help!

it wasn't a waste if something was learned and i think it was ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby hasan550 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:43 pm

zakalawe wrote in Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:18 am:Can you post which version of Nouveau cased the problem? Would be good if other users report the same issue, and the Nouvea developers might even appreciate a bug report.

This version stood:
name: nouveau
vermagic: 5.4.0-65-generic SMP mod_unload
Unfortunately, I don’t know how to find out the version

Now this:
name: nvidia
version: 460.32.03
hasan550

Postby zakalawe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:55 am

Thanks, I've added it to some notes here, just in case it's useful.
zakalawe

Previous

Return to Linux