Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

openstreetmaps data

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

openstreetmaps data

Postby backspin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:55 am

Can I download flightgear scenery showing actual roads? I read that flightgear uses openstreetmap data, but when I selected download scenery I got large areas several km in size colored as, e.g. city, river or forest, but not a level of detail that shows individual street, except perhaps at airports. Thanks!
backspin

Re: openstreetmaps data

Postby Avionyx » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:40 am

Hi Backspin,

Have you got the "Download Scenery Automatically" option selected under Settings>Downloads in the launcher?
If you use that, and the data is available in the area you are flying, it will download as much as it's got, although it might take a bit of time and a few scenery refreshes to get it.

There's also some spectacular, more up to date and detailed, scenery that people are putting together for specific regions.

Here's some in Switzerland scenery which is simply spectacular:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... Mj9X9ptLoy

This screencap from last weeks FGUK group flight shows it quite well, with OSM road and building data as well as photographic textures.

Flightgear really can give some spectacular results, it normally needs a bit of tweaking and patience but it's well worth it IMHO.

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby erik » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:36 pm

And don't forget to select regional scenery in the rendering dialog.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby backspin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks! This leads to a few more questions:
1. how can I install the Swiss scenery after I download it?
2. where is the render dialog mentioned in the last post? I didn't see it in the settings (I'm using flightgear 2020.3.4 on Windows 10)
3. where can I find links to other custom scenery similar to the Swiss scenery mentioned above?
backspin

Postby erik » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:34 pm

The rendering dialog is under the view menu option.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:46 am

most things referenced are in-sim so use the F10 menu to find them... we do try to be specific as to where things are located by using the terms "in the launcher" or "in-sim"...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Avionyx » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 am

backspin wrote in Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:01 pm:Thanks! This leads to a few more questions:
1. how can I install the Swiss scenery after I download it?
2. where is the render dialog mentioned in the last post? I didn't see it in the settings (I'm using flightgear 2020.3.4 on Windows 10)
3. where can I find links to other custom scenery similar to the Swiss scenery mentioned above?

Did you get your first problem solved? then we'll move on :D
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Return to Linux