Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

Flightgear 2019.2.0 suddenly fails

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

Re: Flightgear 2019.2.0 suddenly fails

Postby phineaspgage » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:55 pm

Icecode GL wrote in Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:11 pm:
phineaspgage wrote in Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:40 am:Thank you all, again, for your thoughtful replies. I have tried them all. Still, I have to return to my original thesis. FG is sh*t.

Quite a nice thesis you got there. But next time try to keep it to yourself, no one really gives a sh*t about your opinion.

Coming to an open source project forum and insulting it, even though they got it for free and the 1st thing that appears on the screen when they install it is "FLIGHTGEAR COMES WITH NO WARRANTY"... Some people man, I swear...

Point well taken. You're right, of course. I suppose I'm just cryin' in my beer and hoping someone will say, "there, there" or offer a magic solution. Maturity was never my strong suit. That said, I do appreciate that you read this thread to see if you can help or learn something useful. I remain grateful for that.

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/flightgear-data-base_1%3a2019.1.1+dfsg-0ubuntu1~ppa1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/games/flightgear/Aircraft/ufo/Dialogs/adjust.xml', which is also in package flightgear-data-aircrafts 1:2019.2.0~8979+git24553feb5+dfsg-0ubuntu1~ppa1
phineaspgage

Postby SurferTim » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Have you considered compiling a new 2019.2.0 version with a script? Now that it has been debugged, it shouldn't be that difficult.
Here is the post where I assembled everything I learned after a week of frustration.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=36202&start=45#p352578
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10 pm

@phineaspgage: what package repo are you trying to use? use only one for FG... not any of the others available... if you try to use more than one PPA for FG, you will run into problems...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby phineaspgage » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Icecode GL wrote in Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:11 pm:
phineaspgage wrote in Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:40 am:Thank you all, again, for your thoughtful replies. I have tried them all. Still, I have to return to my original thesis. FG is sh*t.

Quite a nice thesis you got there. But next time try to keep it to yourself, no one really gives a sh*t about your opinion.

Coming to an open source project forum and insulting it, even though they got it for free and the 1st thing that appears on the screen when they install it is "FLIGHTGEAR COMES WITH NO WARRANTY"... Some people man, I swear...

Point well taken, Icecode GL. My "thesis" is not literal. It's "sour grapes" (from Aesop's fable of the Fox and the Grapes). It would have been better to state directly, "I've found this really frustrating and maybe it's just not for me, but I've invested time and money into this endeavor and I hope and wish that somebody can offer additional constructive suggestions". I should have just said that.

That said, you obviously do care about my opinion or you could have just passed by it. I am grateful for your conscientiousness, and for taking time out of your day to search this thread to see if there was something you could offer that would help. As the kids used to say, "you rock". I have some concern that you personalized my comment, so if you are among the many people who have invested considerable time and effort into making FG operational, then I sincerely apologize to you. My comment was sarcastic and the truth is, I found FG to be so compelling I spent over $400 on yoke, throttle quadrant, and pedals for a better experience. Unfortunately, the beta version was the only one I could get to download and install and, after investing in it, it went away suddenly and completely. Certainly not the fault of anyone here but again, it was frustrating and costly. I'm just a human being. Maybe not a good one, but a human nonetheless.

It turns out that after hours of trouble-shooting and searching (and purchasing X-plane as an alternative), I did finally identify the problem. The original beta version I'd installed in the first place had established settings in my OS that were not easily overwritten. I had undertaken several different uninstall operations in Ubuntu 18.04 to be sure my system was free of any of the troublesome beta FG. However, it turns out (unknown to me) that "mark for complete removal" in synaptic does not completely remove the program. Most was removed, but a number of settings in obscure sub-sub-sub-sub-sub directories remained in place. These are probably obvious to a programmer, but they weren't to me. It took several hours of scouring Linux forums for find the code I needed to enter into a terminal to overwrite the offending (beta version FG) files. I finally got 2019.1.1 to install. Interestingly, despite having marked it for "complete removal", and despite further following up with terminal commands to "rm flightgear", "purge flightgear", and half-dozen or so additional variants, when I selected "fly" in the new install put me back exactly where I had left off in the program that theoretically was completely removed from my system. Sophisticated Linux users will shake their heads and say "of course" and "how could you not have known to difraculate your bizelchampter before quarnatering the bamboozle?", but I honestly didn't know.

So while I will humbly retract my FG = feces thesis, I reiterate it's corollary; this is a great community with extremely generous volunteer support, and I am grateful for all of your contributions, even if they only keep me in line and remind me to be nice regardless of what else is happening. Thanks again.
phineaspgage

Postby icecode » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:06 am

That said, you obviously do care about my opinion or you could have just passed by it.

I don't care about some random guy's opinion on a topic I do care about, but I'll publicly make fun of it if I consider it worthy of such honor.
icecode

Version: next

Postby V12 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:43 am

phineaspgage wrote in Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:57 pm:...and purchasing X-plane as an alternative...

Win or Linux ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Previous

Return to Linux