Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

find data linux 17.10

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

find data linux 17.10

Postby Rexd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 pm

I have installed flightgear in a new, clean linux 17.10 installation from the PPA site.

It comes up with a c172p as some anonymous airport (with the bank indicator 45 degrees left). I tried to change to a different airport with no result.

The program is in /usr/games/bin.
There is a folder at /home/name/.fgfs, with approximately nothing there. folders for Aircraft and Terrasync.
The installation took about an hour to download what it said was scenery, etc. but where did it put it?

There is a fila FlightGear.ini in the FlightGear directory with pretty much all options either blank or "false".

Where would I look for scenery and aircraft?

thank you,
Rex du Pont
Rexd

Re: find data linux 17.10

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:32 am

apparently it is loading at the default airport... that airport depends on the version of FG you have installed... FG 2017.3 loads at LKPR in Prague...

the bank indicator is locked at 45 degrees because the craft is not powered on...

~/.fgfs is where FG will download everything for your user's use while in the sim... the aircraft will be downloaded there as well as the scenery...

if you start FG with the "--launcher" option, you will get, ummm... the launcher... in the launcher is where you can select and download other craft to use in the sim... when you are in the launcher, you can also select to download the scenery as needed by enabling the terrasync option... if you don't have scenery for an airport, you will have to wait a little time for it to download... once it is downloaded, it is available for use all the time...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Rexd » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:14 pm

I found them in .usr.shar/games/etc.

Rex
Rexd

Postby Rexd » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:18 pm

to wkitty42,

Thank you I will try the launcher approach. I had an unexpected problem and was slow getting back. I have found the area I needed to download the additional aircraft and scenery that I need.
Rexd

Return to Linux