Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

Flightgear Edge PPA users: Help test debdelta updates

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

Flightgear Edge PPA users: Help test debdelta updates

Postby saiarcot895 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi all,

In an effort to reduce the amount of data downloaded when upgrading between versions of Flightgear, I've looked at debdelta, which makes a binary patch between two versions of a package which will hopefully be smaller than just downloading the original package. Assuming the user has a deb of the currently installed version of the package (which should be stored in /var/cache/apt/archives/), debdelta downloads the binary patch (which will be generated on my server) and patches it into the deb file to make a new deb file for the new version. However, the patching process will require more CPU time.

What this boils down to is that you're trading the need for a good network connection for more CPU time (and more disk space).

If you want to test this out, follow these steps:
  1. Install debdelta
    Code: Select all
    sudo apt install debdelta
  2. Open up /etc/debdelta/sources.conf. The default file has two entries for Debian; you'll probably want to comment these out or remove them. Add in the following into the file, then save it and close it:
    [main ubuntu archive]
    Origin=LP-PPA-saiarcot895-flightgear-edge
    Label=FlightGear Flight Simulator Daily
    delta_uri=http://debdeltas.saiarcot895.cloudns.pro/flightgear-edge-deltas
  3. Run
    sudo gpg --homedir /etc/debdelta/gnupg/ --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 0x203B47C2C66B784B
    . This installs my personal GPG key, which is used to sign my debdeltas repo
  4. Run
    sudo apt update
    to update your package lists (or use whatever frontend you prefer for this step).
  5. Run
    sudo debdelta-upgrade --deb-policy b,e
    to get whatever debdelta files are available (based on the configuration you have in /etc/debdelta/sources.conf) and patch them into the existing debs you already have The --deb-policy says "only get the original deb files if the patch is too big or the patch errors out for whatever reason". The default policy also automatically gets the original deb files for packages that don't have a debdelta repo configured as well, but I personally prefer to get this separately. If you don't mind downloading all upgradeable packages in one command, you can just run
    sudo debdelta-upgrade
  6. Run
    sudo apt upgrade
    or whatever frontend you use to upgrade your packages. If everything worked out correctly, your download size should be smaller (much smaller in the case of not having to download data packages).

As a quick example, I'm on the Flightgear Edge PPA, and it took me about 18 minutes to patch the data files from a 2017.1.0 version to a 2017.2.0 version. Your times will be dependent on what CPU you have (it'll likely be a bit higher).

For reference, here are the binary patch sizes for the data packages, going from 1:2017.1.0~7995+gitea76305+dfsg-0ubuntu1~ppa1 to 1:2017.2.0~8028+git14e41b5+dfsg-0ubuntu1~ppa1:
flightgear-data-ai: 2,259,582 bytes (original deb size of new version is 247,249,786 bytes)
flightgear-data-aircrafts: 5,396 bytes (original deb size of new version is 86,264 bytes)
flightgear-data-base: 3,063,692 bytes (original deb size of new version is 812,468,340 bytes)
flightgear-data-models: 62,536 bytes (original deb size of new version is 119,683,904 bytes)

For the data packages specifically, you would be downloading about 5-6 MB (instead of more than 1 GB) when upgrading between these two versions. The binary patch for the main flightgear package is around 3 MB (going from 2017.1.0 to 2017.2.0), whereas the original deb file is about 5.6 MB.

If all goes well, I'll have debdelta updates for the Stable PPA as well (it's actually already configured, but there are no delta files there because there haven't been any changes).
Saikrishna Arcot

My FlightGear PPAs: FlightGear Stable, FlightGear Development (Edge)
saiarcot895

Callsign: flyhigh
Version: -next PPA

Re: Flightgear Edge PPA users: Help test debdelta updates

Postby tonghuix » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi

Your PPA flightgear-edge for 2014.0 build error times by times, so please fix it, here is some error log:

Missing build dependencies: qtbase5-dev (>= 5.4.0~), qtbase5-private-dev (>= 5.4.0~), qtdeclarative5-dev (>= 5.4.0~), qtdeclarative5-private-dev (>= 5.4.0~)

Thank you very much for providing this PPA and making it is very easy to install FG !
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix
Version: next

Postby rustemy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:28 am

FYI...

I've not had a successful upgrade to "Daily" using "sudo debdelta-upgrade --deb-policy b,e" for the last few weeks.
I continue to get the error "Delta is not present: flightgear-*****(etc)".

I did go through all the steps outlined to re-install debdalta as well as the ppa all to no avail.

Have there been a any change to configuration or other that I need to update in order to once again get debdelta working again?

(Thanks for making this available.) :D
rustemy

Version: PPA-Edge

Postby saiarcot895 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:18 pm

I'll check to see what's going on there. I don't use the debdelta because I have a sufficiently fast internet connection.
Saikrishna Arcot

My FlightGear PPAs: FlightGear Stable, FlightGear Development (Edge)
saiarcot895

Callsign: flyhigh
Version: -next PPA

Return to Linux