Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

QT-Launcher and empty Aircraft Center  Topic is solved

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

QT-Launcher and empty Aircraft Center

Postby mcflyle » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:56 am

I have installed Flightgear from a custom repository in openSUSE Tumbleweed, actually 2016.2.0 from http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... umbleweed/. If i want to start fgfs with the --launcher option, the game starts without launcher and i have no idea why. Also the Aircraft Center ist empty ingame. Maybe its the same problem? Any idea how can i solve the problem? Normally QT shouldn't be a problem, cause it is the kde-version (with a new QT-Version) of this OS.
mcflyle

Re: QT-Launcher and empty Aircraft Center

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:22 am

use the help/about dialog (wiki) to post additional information here, refer to fgfs.log (wiki) in $FG_HOME (wiki) for other useful information
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby jaxsin » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:36 pm

It really depends on the package maintainer. The use of QT is enabled during compile time. You should verify if FG was built with the cmake flag -DENABLE_QT
jaxsin

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:48 pm

if it does not show up in the help/about dialog and/or via --help --verbose (--launcher), you can use ldd fgfs to see if it is linked against qt or not
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby mcflyle » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks for answers. fgfs.log shows nothing relating to qt. ldd fgfs was a good idea, no linked qt-lib to see. So i have to compile the game for myself or may to use the suse-build-service.
mcflyle

Postby DF_Hammack » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:18 pm

I too, am having a problem with the empty hanger syndrome. As for starting w/o the launcher.... are you launching fgfs, or fgrun? FGFS launches FlightGear with the default aircraft, while fgrun launches the launcher. Just for grins.... open a terminal and type fgrun and see what happens
Last edited by DF_Hammack on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:49 pm

there's a walkthrough (I think posted by Necolatis) for people using the Qt5 launcher in conjunction with the Aircraft Center - basically, the Qt5 launcher is using code paths that were at some point conflicting with the Aircraft Center, so that it would not be set up property by default - however, once you follow the steps detailed by Necolatis, you end up with a working aircraft center.
If in doubt, feel free to file a bug report
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby frustratedkabuki » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:40 pm

LOL, TWELVE years later, and I'm having this same problem. All I did was reinstall my Ubuntu OS, and reinstall from the Ubuntu software center. It worked on the old OS installation, and now it doesn't. Good grief!
frustratedkabuki

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Originally, the consensus among core developers on the devel list was that QT related functionality would have to remain entirely optional and that for any useful functionality, a "common service layer" would be used, so that a non-Qt front-end could be provided (e.g. using Phi, PUI, the console or Canvas):

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=25087&p=229303#p229303
Torsten wrote in Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 am:There is currently heavy activity towards a new UI. There will be the HTML5 based version, I am currently working on and an internal implementation based on well supported libraries. Most likely, both will use a common service layer to provide necessary data.
Neither of those will use Nasal or Canvas to render the UI elements.

James stated that the Canvas based aircraft center was disabled to ensure that the Qt based re-implementation would get wider testing: 2018.3 Release

To enable the original Canvas-based Aircraft Center in non-QT builds, you will have to edit/patch menubar.xml or execute the dialog directly, e.g. via the Nasal console: Reinstating Canvas based Aircraft Center for non Qt builds

Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Linux