Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

flightgear update

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

flightgear update

Postby eegrek » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:02 pm

I am fairy new to flightgear and I am currently using 2020.3.13 on a Linux platform.
I would like to update my application to 2020.3.17 as it might clear a small issue with the b1900d aircraft (Approach and glide slope problems- or maybe not) I have located and Downloaded an AppImage of the 2020.3.17, but I am unsure what to do with this.
In my investigation it seemed a good idea to get any updates from the git repository and it downloaded the flightgear fgdata file onto my
/home/david/path so I have a new /home/david/fgdata Folder.
The instructions said to use the terminal to get any updates by a git pull command and it came back with Already up-to-date.
Do I somehow put the AppImage download in this new folder? or has anyone any suggestions for me. Many thanks for your replies.
eegrek

Callsign: EEGREK
Version: 2020.3.13

Re: flightgear update

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:51 pm

appimages you simply make executable and then run them... you can place them anywhere you like as they are completely self-contained for the most part...
in the case of the FG appimage, it will ask you where fgdata is so you point it to the proper one and you should be good...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby eegrek » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:07 am

Thank you for your suggestion, when I tried to do this the message that the fgdata was for Flightgear 2020.4 and the AppImage is for 2020.3.17 was displayed.so maybe I have to find the fgdata for this 3.17 release somehow.
eegrek

Postby eegrek » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:17 am

I have found that there is a Flatpak release 2020.3.17 available on my Linux installation but when I installed this the screen showed two images one over the top of the other and I could not find a way of overcoming this. Is it because I did not uninstall the older version and it loaded two installations together?
eegrek

Postby AndersG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:55 am

If you got fgdata from git you actually have all fgdata that has been released since way way way back locally. You need to check which branch you should have checked out, however.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby eegrek » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:59 am

Thank you AndersG. When I followed the instructions from git I really didn't know what I was expecting to happen. Now it seems that I have a folder in my system that is taking up over 5gb of disc space and doing nothing for me. From what you say I might as well delete this from my system and try another way to get my updates.
eegrek

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:26 pm

eegrek wrote in Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:59 am:Thank you AndersG. When I followed the instructions from git I really didn't know what I was expecting to happen. Now it seems that I have a folder in my system that is taking up over 5gb of disc space and doing nothing for me. From what you say I might as well delete this from my system and try another way to get my updates.

if that directory is your git of FGDATA then you can simply go into it in a terminal, type "git checkout release/2020.3" (IIRC) and it'll switch branches to one that should be compatible with your 2020.3 appimage... it should also work for the flatpak...

but if you are on linux, especially a debian/ubuntu derivative, you might find that using the download_and_compile.sh script is easier... it downloads/updates the code for FG and then compiles it for your machine... staying updated is extremely simple, too... start here: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Compilation_on_Linux_Debian/Ubuntu
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Linux