Board index FlightGear Support Installation Linux

"illegal argument" on some specific aircrafts

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Linux systems like Ubuntu.

"illegal argument" on some specific aircrafts

Postby yaa » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Hello all,
just landed on this forum after a couple of weeks using flightgear 2020.1.1 on linux Ubuntu.
I have no problem with the default cessna, or some additional planes (e.g. the 747).
However, when trying to use other aircrafts from `http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft/` (e.g. f15, f16, f22) I get : "Fatal exception: illegal argument"
i am using the version installed with apt-get from ppa:saiarcot895/flightgear

Any suggestion ?

NOTE: there are other posts about this error, but it seems that for them the problem is consistent, while for me is only with specific aircrafts
yaa

Re: "illegal argument" on some specific aircrafts

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:21 pm

my first question is why are you downloading them manually from ibiblio instead of installing them from the launcher? the launcher will pull the proper craft for the version of FG you are using... this will get better over time as versioning of the craft repository is refined and further implemented...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: "illegal argument" on some specific aircrafts

Postby yaa » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:21 pm:my first question is why are you downloading them manually from ibiblio instead of installing them from the launcher? the launcher will pull the proper craft for the version of FG you are using... this will get better over time as versioning of the craft repository is refined and further implemented...

Hi, thank you for your answer

By reading online posts about installing planes I've only found instructions for downloading the archive from a repo and decompress them in a dedicated folder ... didn't even noticed there was a way for installing them from the GUI ... Anyway it works now, many thanks again :D
yaa

Return to Linux