Board index FlightGear Development AI Traffic

Frame Rates with AI models

Intelligent, computer controlled vehicles that drive/fly over the planet!

Frame Rates with AI models

Postby simbabeat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi,
I don't have the best computer, only 1.83 ghz and 2gb of ram, mac osx snow leopard etc. etc. etc........ I love to have AI models turned on to see the great stuff at EHAM and other nicely developed airports but whenever i have AI models on the best frame rate I can get is about 6. Which if you have ever tried to fly with that frame rate, it's hard and painful! Does anyone know anything i could do to make my framerates better with AI models turned on? besides get a faster cpu? (which can't be done right now) thanks!
simbabeat

Re: Frame Rates with AI models

Postby durk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 am

simbabeat wrote:Hi,
I don't have the best computer, only 1.83 ghz and 2gb of ram, mac osx snow leopard etc. etc. etc........ I love to have AI models turned on to see the great stuff at EHAM and other nicely developed airports but whenever i have AI models on the best frame rate I can get is about 6. Which if you have ever tried to fly with that frame rate, it's hard and painful! Does anyone know anything i could do to make my framerates better with AI models turned on? besides get a faster cpu? (which can't be done right now) thanks!

You could try setting the property

--prop:/sim/traffic-manager/proportion

to a value something less than 1.0 the amount of active aircraft that will be loaded will be affected accordingly. Note that this feature is still somewhat experimental and will only affect the number of aircraft loaded during program start. This property is available since at least version 1.9.0. I'm not sure we already had it in 1.0. But since you're mentioning the EHAM traffic, I'm assuming that you''re running the latest release anyhow.

Also, if you have FlightGear CVS, you might want to play with settings for 3D clouds and shaders. In FlightGear 1.9.0 or 1.9.1 that is not yet possible. My experience with current CVS versions of FlightGear is that performance is initially, during all the loading, a little rough, but after you let it settle for a while things become a lot smoother, especially after panning around a few times.

Hope this helps,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:08 pm

I haven't read through this topic so I don't know if its what you're looking for but...

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5745
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Postby simbabeat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:18 pm

I haven't read through this topic so I don't know if its what you're looking for but...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5745

nope not really relevant but thanks anyway :D
no I dn't run cvs YET. would you put the number after it just like: --prop:/sim/traffic-manager/proportion0.5???????
simbabeat

Postby durk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

simbabeat wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5745

nope not really relevant but thanks anyway :D
no I dn't run cvs YET. would you put the number after it just like: --prop:/sim/traffic-manager/proportion0.5???????

Almost: it's --prop:/sim/traffic-manager/proportion=0.5

(I'm actually writing this off the top of my head).

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby simbabeat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:50 pm

haha well i will try that later
simbabeat

Postby simbabeat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:20 pm

ok well that did seem to work a little bit but the best frame rate i seemed to get was 12.
simbabeat

Postby Gijs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:40 pm

simbabeat wrote:ok well that did seem to work a little bit but the best frame rate i seemed to get was 12.

What is your framerate with AI disabled?

--prop:/sim/traffic-manager/enabled=false
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby simbabeat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:31 pm

anywhere from 20-50. it never stays at one exact rate but varies between those
simbabeat

Postby Liam » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:40 pm

I actually dont find EHAM that bad, I find San Fransisco worse. Its the trees which lag me out, not the AI aircraft. If i fly out of 28L and head south, the forests restrict me to something like 4fps :(, but at the airports themselves, it can be between 9-20, depending on how good the visibility is. If you are really struggling with lag, I suggest you quickly reduce the visibility (hold shift and Z, to increase visibility, hold lower case z) to rapidly increase your FPS.
Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Return to AI Traffic