Board index FlightGear Support

FG 1.9 Works?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG 1.9 Works?

Postby X9331AK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:58 am

So after being a 1.0 user for a long time now, i forgot how long, i think it was around the time i read a gamershell.com spot on the day 1.0 came out and i grabbed it.
Well, what can i say, about 1.0! its super great working on my nvidia 6500, some times, every 11 to 15 seconds i might see a quick pause in gameplay, but other then that it ran pretty well on my cpu.

Then after reading so much down play on 1.9, i was afaird to d/l it, but i did, and here it went.
First thing i notice was the launcher had a f-14 pic on it when i opened it, which was nice to see, the install was quick and simple, no problems.
Then when i saw the aircraft list of 1.9 i was shocked to see no A-10 right away! but it wasn't to hard to add it later of course.

Also i had to readd A-6 and a few others, after that i notice f14 of course came with this version, which was really nice, but on that note lets take a dip into what i notice right away as graphic difference's.
First, the frame rate from 1.0 to 1.9 ( on my cpu ) was SUPER GREAT!... major major jump from flow and feel of the plane when flying is so much smoother now, and dont get me wrong my cpu ran 1.0 pretty damn well, so to see it run so well, i opened fraps and took some nice HD1280x800 videos with my A-6, and gonna post them on youtube later, because i was soo impressed i even re loaded 1.0 to compare some gameplay.
After i got over the look and feel, i liked seeing trees!, omg trees!.. loving that, the clouds where much much better from 1.0, the random objects was nice to see in the ocean like sailboats and oil tankers and such.
Only downfall i did notice of course right away, was lack of shadows and my "blurry effect" ( which is most coming from heat from the engines ) like on the A-10 with 1.0 FG, when i was full power, it looked really cool from behide with the heat effect, but with 1.9 its gone, ( now maybe, taking them off improves framerrate, but i still miss it )

Controls feel and work great, not much i can compane other then a few short cut keys not working some times, but nothing major to bring the version a bad name.

So in the end, im glad to say i took the time to download and test it out, and gives me a fresh breath of new air from this game and there makers, im very happy to be playing flight gear and can't wait to see whats in store for the future of it.
Callsign: eXnine
X9331AK

Re: FG 1.9 Works?

Postby stuart » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 am

Hi X9331AK,

I'm very glad to hear you like v1.9. There have been a variety of issues with it, so it is great to hear such positive comments.

I'm particularly happy that you like the trees and clouds, as they are thing that I was involved in developing. :)

As you may know, v1.9 introduces a completely new graphics system, hence the currentl lack of heat effects and shadows. There was also a lot of work to reduce stuttering due to MP aircraft being loaded, all of which helped to make things smoother.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby AK-Emm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:04 am

I don't know what you are smoking :?:

maybe your notebook has luck with the game otherwise High Definition with FG 1.9 uhh uhh :cry: :roll:
don't mix very well trust me on that one cause i too have a high definition notebook pc
i even connectedthe damn game notebook to a high definition 48 inch flat screen T.V
using S-video connector
at the maximum resolution but still getting low frame rates

HP Pavilion HDX series
20"
core 2 duo 2.8 ghz
4GB Ram
400Gb HD
Blue Ray HD lightscribe DVD +RW list then goes on an on
this model as of now is also outdated so im looking for a new buy

but in that case glad at least it works on your system

cause ive figured out what causes frame rate loss 8)
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking at Flight level 350 it seems we are experiencing engine failure we're Out to fix the problem we'll be back in a moment.................... :?:

Rotes Barett-zerstreute 101. Abteilung (SKY ACE ROTC)
AK-Emm

Postby stuart » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 am

AK-Emm,

What graphics card are you running?

X9331AK has a nvidia 6500, which is probably why he's not seeing any problems.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby X9331AK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 am

I really dont know what flight gear runs soo well on my laptop, i really dont...

i even gave it to a friend on his computer at home which is way better gfx/ram/cpu then mine, and fg ran like shit,
but after i've read many users reports on these forums, he wasn't the only one, i have to say, i am _very_ lucky to have it run super smooth with 1.0,
and now 1.9 runs better, i took 1.9 online today, got no lag other then when someone logs on with a heavy lag, or i stay online more then 2 hours, then i start to get burps, but im not complaning!

HP/COMPAQ Presario
core 2 duo 1.6 ghz
1gb ram
nvidia 6500 series

PS:: your welcome Stuart, good job!
X9331AK

Postby X9331AK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 pm

AK-Emm wrote:I don't know what you are smoking

Only the good stuff my friend : )

and btw, when i upload that video i took, it was recorded using dixv/fraps HD softwear, but i wasn't playing it in HD of course : ) sorry to mistake ya on that part.

heres the video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ip9Q_Sles ) now i just wish i took a longer video and more of the land then sea :oops:
- Click 'watch in high quality' for a better look :shock:
Last edited by X9331AK on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X9331AK

Postby AK-Emm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:34 pm

stuart wrote:AK-Emm,

What graphics card are you running?

X9331AK has a nvidia 6500, which is probably why he's not seeing any problems.

-Stuart

Edit: ...intel chipset 965 GMA X3100 the compaq presario bought in early 2008 sorry
1440x 900 resolution WSXGA 17"

on the HP pavilion HDX series bought in late 2008 High definition resolution
1680 x 1050 20.1" WSXGA
With 256MB GDDR3 (dedicated) & up to 1023MB Total Available Graphics Memory upgraded to max of 2000 mb
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT
im upgrading

this gonna look for the best in the market
im tired with upgrades time to go for the later 20.1" inch model when its out

glad it works perfectly on yours thats how i felt when it was with 1.0 on the presario

1.9 does not seem to agree with my powerhouse (ex-power house)

so im getting a desktop this time not a replacement just dedicated for flight simulators which will be
X-plane 9 Flight Simulator X and Flight gear all installed........
Last edited by AK-Emm on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking at Flight level 350 it seems we are experiencing engine failure we're Out to fix the problem we'll be back in a moment.................... :?:

AK-Emm

Postby AK-Emm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:41 pm

X9331AK wrote:HP/COMPAQ Presario
core 2 duo 1.6 ghz
1gb ram
nvidia 6500 series

you got the newer version
i only buy HP/ Compaq products

i'll use nvidia to replace the intel on my Compaq presario A900 series
made a lot of updates to that cause i love that notebook had mine customized full max

thanks for the tip............

AK-Emm

Postby X9331AK » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 am

what really bugs me, is that a newer - newer version of my laptop came out 2 weeks after i got this !!!

damn UUUUU!!! BEST BUYYYYYYYYY :evil:

anyways, good luck in the future on getting FG to run right, again, got lucky that mine runs great, but in poker, my luck isn't so well :cry:
X9331AK

Postby stuart » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 am

Hi AK-Emm,

Through no fault of your own, you've got two systems that don't have the hardware support to run FG properly.

intel chipset 965 XMA 1900 the compaq presario bought in early 2008

I think that has an integrated graphics processor on the motherboard. Unless you have a separate dedicated graphics card, so is unlikely to have accelerated OpenGL support. Buying a cheap NVidia graphics card would make a huge difference. Something like a 8600GS would be more than adequate.

We've seen lots of problems with OpenGL support on ATI cards, and in particular Mobility Radeon. I've heard that ATI are improving their OpenGL support, so hopefully a future driver update will help.

Sadly, for the moment NVidia graphics cards are the best choice for FG. If you're upgrading, make sure you get a NVidia graphics card in the new machine. Otherwise you may well hit exactly the same problem again. Personally, I'd look at upgrading the graphics card on the Presario first, though if you're not confident with hardware, you might find getting the correct card and fitting it a bit daunting. Make sure you've got enough space in the case!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby AK-Emm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:28 pm

stuart wrote:Hi AK-Emm,

Through no fault of your own, you've got two systems that don't have the hardware support to run FG properly.

intel chipset 965 XMA 1900 the compaq presario bought in early 2008

I think that has an integrated graphics processor on the motherboard. Unless you have a separate dedicated graphics card, so is unlikely to have accelerated OpenGL support. Buying a cheap NVidia graphics card would make a huge difference. Something like a 8600GS would be more than adequate.

We've seen lots of problems with OpenGL support on ATI cards, and in particular Mobility Radeon. I've heard that ATI are improving their OpenGL support, so hopefully a future driver update will help.

Sadly, for the moment NVidia graphics cards are the best choice for FG. If you're upgrading, make sure you get a NVidia graphics card in the new machine. Otherwise you may well hit exactly the same problem again. Personally, I'd look at upgrading the graphics card on the Presario first, though if you're not confident with hardware, you might find getting the correct card and fitting it a bit daunting. Make sure you've got enough space in the case!

-Stuart

the intel works smoothly with MSFX and X-plane
getting some decent frame rates despite the highest level of details and full resolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Table_of_GMA_graphics_cores_and_chipsets

kinda shocking thou once i did research Nvidia then Ati then Intel in that rank

according to the benchmarks each produce there's others out there that are top quality like triton etc

so gone to get some Nvidia 8800 GTX for both :) if i find out that there's something better will take it up for grabs
gotta be a little more patient
cause some later version will soon be released

still
gotta work out how much ive got to save oh plus its already included in the desktop that im purchasing

thanks for the solution and tip :)

AK-Emm

Postby AK-Emm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:39 pm

X9331AK wrote:what really bugs me, is that a newer - newer version of my laptop came out 2 weeks after i got this !!!

damn UUUUU!!! BEST BUYYYYYYYYY :evil:

anyways, good luck in the future on getting FG to run right, again, got lucky that mine runs great, but in poker, my luck isn't so well :cry:

:cry: always
did'nt i tell you those crazy people like making money :twisted: "Here Today Gone Tommorow "
so your's is now yesterday's news :mrgreen: :lol:

just like buying the latest cellphones every 4 weeks

pity
what i usually do is wait a while till the latest product is out then you get a better offer
either its an 14" extreme core 120 GB hd 1gb ram with limited features or 18" core 2 duo 200Gb hd 1gb ram with all features and same price tag

thats the question................ :?:

the choice will be yours
Last edited by stuart on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed profanity. Please moderate your language - remember that this forum is read by children (and their mothers).

AK-Emm

Return to Support