Board index FlightGear Media

HDR Gallery

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: HDR Gallery

Postby icecode » Sun May 07, 2023 5:29 am

It's never too early for that! The redout/blackout effect not working is known, it hasn't been ported to HDR yet. The masts being solid is caused by those objects not being marked as transparent. We are back to Rembrandt days where transparent objects have to be explicitly marked as such.
icecode

Version: next

Postby Volador » Sun May 07, 2023 7:49 am

The black view I'm seeing when starting in hdr could be the blackout effect then? While seeing the black I can bring up the hud, also the mouse changes when moved over where the controls in the cabin are (c172). It's also black on the external / tower views.
Last edited by Volador on Sun May 07, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volador

Callsign: Volador, G-VLDR
Version: 2020.4

Postby icecode » Sun May 07, 2023 7:51 am

Unfortunately that's probably related to drivers not implementing some features used by HDR (again until we switch to the core profile). The redout/blackout effect only comes up when under sufficient G-force, otherwise it stays hidden.
icecode

Postby Volador » Sun May 07, 2023 8:01 am

@icecode, if your profile is up to date I notice we have similar spec graphics cards (although you indicate you have a windows 11 os) have you got up to date nvidea drivers? I saw hdr working on my win 10 1070Ti a few months ago but have since updated the 1070 Ti driver - and since it's made no other noticeable difference, I'd certainly roll it back to match your driver version? (Or is it more complex to do with the o.s?)
Volador

Postby icecode » Sun May 07, 2023 2:58 pm

Yeah, they are up to date. I use the latest Nvidia proprietary drivers from the SUSE repos and HDR works flawlessly for me. I haven't tested under Windows though, maybe their drivers are different there.
icecode

Postby polly » Sun May 07, 2023 7:53 pm

Thank you for the explanations; if I may impose:

I've been toying with the Lancair, which had an opaque canopy and I managed to change that by changing the inherits-from in the glassrain effect file. However I noticed the outside view is different according to the selected model, comparing c310dpm-3d with the Lancair's outside views:

The only difference is the line: --aircraft=xxxx in my .fgfsrc file, shouldn't the outside views look the same ? Thanks.
polly

Postby icecode » Mon May 08, 2023 6:39 am

They should be the same indeed. Sometimes this happens, I'm not sure why. The f-14b has the same "issue". I found that hiding the invisible menubar with F10 fixed the problem, maybe you can try that.
icecode

Postby polly » Mon May 08, 2023 12:01 pm

Yes, thanks, that does usually correct the image although occasionally it changes to a washed out high brightness image when F10 is pressed.

P.S There's also a small shift in the colour cast a couple of seconds after the cockpit view shows up, when I think the 'You are on Runway xx' message shows. Pressing F10 has no effect on the Lancair, just on the C310dpm-3d. Overall I much prefer the HDR scene, the colour cast of the runway surface is toward brown-grey rather than blue-grey, less 'gamey' ! Thanks.
polly

Postby Necolatis » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:33 am

"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Necolatis » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:31 pm

"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby jtprophet » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:29 pm

Finally able to get HDR to work on my box running W10; had to get get the newest Nvidia driver for the 3080 series card. The orange screen still flashes but eventually loads; although cant figure out how to autostart the 757; "s" key wont do it.

John
jtprophet

Callsign: DAL1464

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:42 pm

That AWACS video is stunning!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Volador » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:23 pm

jtprophet wrote in Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:29 pm:Finally able to get HDR to work on my box running W10; had to get get the newest Nvidia driver for the 3080 series card. The orange screen still flashes but eventually loads;
John

Hi John, thanks for sharing your success, I've tried the new game ready driver on my 1070 (win10) (latest nightly) but get the green red flickering then fg crashes, what settings are you starting with? (It's a long shot, I know)
Chris
Volador

Postby jtprophet » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:34 pm

Hey Chris,

I had this happen on several occasions until I was successful by downloading the latest studio driver this time instead of the game driver it probably doesn't make that much difference; and then I still had the crashing to the desktop after the orange flashing. What worked for me was take out the hdr line and open it normally and let it load and then close it and add the hdr line back to the bottom; this finally allows FG to open although the flashes still appeared. Another thing I did was add the program to the nvidia control and let the driver take over for the rendering for the game.
jtprophet

Callsign: DAL1464

Postby Volador » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:54 am

Thanks for the tips John, I went with these settings. I think a key setting is the minimal quality or whichever setting does not include random buildings as these stop FG starting. I'm not sure if the latest studio or games driver made a difference.

--graphics-preset=minimal-quality
--prop:/sim/rendering/photoscenery/enabled=true
--prop:/sim/rendering/multi-samples=4
--compositor=Compositor/HDR/hdr

I'm really impressed with cloud and landmass reflections - it makes a big difference to the sense of immersion. Compliments to the developers :D

Landmass reflections sometimes took a while to render more smoothly but they are there (only on the distant shoreline in this picture)

I did experience black blocks over certain parts of the screen frequently that looked like a graphics thing, leaving the sim for a few minutes sometimes cleared the blocks, or changing the size of the screen or rotating the view. I'm not certain but might have been linked to time and recalculating the lighting in the scene/graphics memory - I'm just guessing.
Last edited by Volador on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volador

PreviousNext

Return to Media