Board index FlightGear Media

Presenting some 2021/22 FG info, as there's no 2021 release

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Presenting some 2021/22 FG info, as there's no 2021 release

Postby vnts » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:13 pm

Since there's no FG release towards the end of 2021, due to the 2-ish year LTS cycle..

It might be beneficial to do something in the new year (Jan, Feb) that contributes to improving communications about FG by presenting infos in various places

Some relatively quick things :mrgreen: :

- Updating galleries - 1. SOTM winners, 2. high-ish settings (fixing incorrect impressions), 3. space shuttle screenshots (since there's so many great ones recently by GinGin and eatdirt and they also showcase FG weather/environment). The home page gallery hasn't been updated since v2.10 in 2013 [1]. It's possible to do a gallery page in the wiki.

- I've batch processed 2020/2021 SOTM screenshots and uploaded to wiki. I can batch process and add a flightgear.org url to screenshots if these are needed for the homepage.

- There will likely be a 2020.3.12 release in the new year (Jan or Feb). It will have the Australia regional definitions that are merged already into the 2020.3 branch, and maybe the Australia terrain will also be in TerraSync by then . It's possible to do a news post with additions since the LTS release (there's enough material - including maybe the new 777). There are enough screenshots and I can write one up near time of release.

- Refreshing the abandoned r/flightgear subreddit. There are people wondering about FG - see link to [archive] since the forum doesn't allow direct links (likely due to reddits vote manipulation guidelines). Using the two stickied threads should help, one for an information megapost pointing people towards the wiki/forum (as well as existing discord link), and galleries for the 2nd sticky. That way not much extra maintainence is needed. Since the subreddit administration is pretty dead - the mods seem inactive (?), and no longer seem to read FG forums or list if reddit people ever did - it may be a good idea for several forum regulars to quickly make an account and get added as mods to reduce the chance of /everyone/ being inactive in future. I can start a draft for an information post on the wiki - and if added as a temporary mod for a few days I can also post it - maybe it's better to just link to the wiki page so the information post can be updated by multiple people in future. If mods are away, the reddit website would need to be contacted to have the top mod account switched.

Any other quick things?

Kind regards
vnts

Re: Presenting some 2021/22 FG info, as there's no 2021 rele

Postby merspieler » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:13 pm

vnts wrote in Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:13 pm:pointing people towards the wiki/forum (as well as existing discord link)

I've got to agree to the highest ranked comment, that discord isn't the right place for an open source project.
There's an alternative called matrix which is federated and open source on which we've got a space ([url=https://matrix.to/#/#flightgear-jsbsim:hacklab.fi]join here[/url])

vnts wrote in Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:13 pm:Any other quick things?

Seek Peak into the next LTS featuring first screenshots from WS3, ortho scenery and HDR?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Return to Media