Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 5

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 5

Postby xcvb » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:57 pm

xcvb

Version: Next

Postby Delta5142 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:48 am

Are you using HDR in that shot?
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:26 am

Wow, that is an outstanding representation. I would also like to know the details about the composition of that shot.
Also what aircraft and from where?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Delta5142 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:44 am

Wow, that is an outstanding representation. I would also like to know the details about the composition of that shot.

Ditto
Also what aircraft and from where?

It is the Dornier 328, can be found on GitHub in his signature.
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142

Postby vnts » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 am

Delta5142 wrote in Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:44 am:

Ditto

The aircraft is rendered with the HDR pipeline Icecold is working on - (it's extremely WiP so don't take it remotely as representative of the final quality of the pipeline). The shiny blur extending beyond the aircraft models means it's definitely the new pipeline.

The reason the aircraft lighting looks like a photo is the light from the environment + plus shiny surface. The experimental pipeline either already has (or will have) some image based lighting that automatically makes an environment map :mrgreen: . Similar effects can be achieved on the LTS with environment maps, and maybe some ambient occlusion maps for the exteriors to get an even softer look. Edit:it's one of HHS's craft, and the last commit is 4 years old https://github.com/HHS81/do328/commits/master , so it's probably environment maps (reflection maps) and setting material properties nicely including noise to break up the smooth reflection. Helijah also did a bunch of map and materials updates so some of his craft probably look similar.

See https://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_ ... R_pipeline for more info and how to turn it on.

The scenery is WS3 with the 25m UK / EGPH scenery StuartB released a month or two ago - WS3 scenery generation is advanced, and people interested in scnenery generation can start experimenting/learning with scenery in their area, or porting existing work on shapefiles into the WS3 format for the eventual WS3 world-build - see https://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_ ... 3.0_Update .

The rendering part of WS3 is still being implemented (i.e. a rapidly changing construction site) , and it's missing the integration into the regional definitions system, 5 textures, and 3 coordinate systems to actually drive the higher quality shaders.

What you're seeing is the bare minimum low quality shaders - maybe directly comparable with low in the ALS low quality shaders LTS. These just put 1 texture at each point in a mesh, like a blender starting tutorial, with some haze on top. It's not what WS3 looks like at higher settings when complete. There are issues with WS3 like detiled textures suddenly changing with different LoD tiles (WS3 has a LoD system) as the coordinate system is placeholder. The rendering is not quite at the place where it should be flown for enjoyment due to issues like that, but it's close to being fixed.

For people playing around with WS3 set "enable_large_scale_transition_search = 1" and save in data/Shaders/ws30-ALS-landclass-search-functions.frag. It's possible to do this while windowed in sim - just hit the debug menu > configure development extension > reload shaders . WS3 combines raster techniques with landclasses - so it's sort of a combination of the best of WS2's vector scenery with the raster approaches of photoscenery - so the edge cases like transitions in non-adjusted WS2 are fixed.

WS2 looks like this at EGPH :mrgreen: - WS3 will look even better when finished:

Kind regards
vnts

Postby xcvb » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 pm

Yes, indeed it is the new HDR pipeline. Some more pictures:

xcvb

Version: Next

Postby wlbragg » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:39 pm

Wow, what a difference that makes. Impressive!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby TheEagle » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:56 am

Landing in heavy crosswind at SAWH with the pressurized Cessna 210:

All engines on fire in a heavily overloaden Boeing KC137 after a missed approach to SAWH:
Everyone escaped unharmed after an emergency landing on the beach:
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby V12 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:58 am

How did You managed to set the engines to fire ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby FirstOfficerDelta » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:35 am

It is possible to set the engines on fire in a B707 in 2 ways:

1. You start the engines with the generator drive on.
2. Not sure how you can do that midflight, but autostart the engines while in 2x+ speed mode.
FirstOfficerDelta

Callsign: CPA830

Postby TheEagle » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 am

Is there also a way to repair the aircraft ? (put off fires, and repair gear after a crash landing)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby FirstOfficerDelta » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm

Yes, it is possible to extinguish the engines using the aircraft's engine fire extinguishers just above the engine dials. Assuming that you still have fuel, the downside would be that you would have lost that engine for the aircraft for the entire flight.

With regards to fixing it after landing, with the current options, no, I don't think it is possible to fix the aircraft after an emergency landing.
FirstOfficerDelta

Callsign: CPA830

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:43 pm

TheEagle wrote in Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:56 am:Everyone escaped unharmed after an emergency landing on the beach:

i think i would have put it in the water... mainly, i think, to put the fires out... being that close to shore, swimming to the beach would be a viable option as would using the rafts that should be onboard... i really don't think i would have chanced a landing on the beach with the possibility of breaking up and having a larger fire... but i also say this with full recognition of my lack of professional training on what to do in a situation like this...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:46 pm

FirstOfficerDelta wrote in Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm:With regards to fixing it after landing, with the current options, no, I don't think it is possible to fix the aircraft after an emergency landing.

especially if it is a YASIM craft... i know that JSBSIM craft can be rest to a known working state, though... the c172p implements such and will put the wings and gear back on while also flipping the craft over right side up if needed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Nah, that aircraft is a JSBsim one ! :D
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

PreviousNext

Return to Media