Board index FlightGear Media

16k Photoscenery

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

16k Photoscenery

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Splitting out to avoid contaminating the photoscenery topic with screenshots:

We can see the issues with the scenery at low altitude very clearly, as well as the interference of the random vegetation.

However, as I fly north at higher altitude the result is more compelling.

The industrial estate looks flat, however still looks reasonable.

At higher altitude still it looks even better -- however, you can definitely notice the vegetation.

It gets worse when trees start growing on factory roofs.

But still very nice overall.

Starts to look flat again descending back into Tandragee airfield. On the other hand it looks really awesome flying in over the canal.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: 16k Photoscenery

Postby Hooray » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Thanks for sharing these pictures !

It might be interesting to use something like the old urban shader to give a 3Dish look to the flat industrial areas ... also using the road textures to texture OSM vector data could make quite a difference, too

Basically, the photo texture would ideally be used as an input to drive the shader based instantiation of features like random buildings, vegetation etc

Detecting tree coverage to instantiate the tree shader in those regions would be another option - but that's all quickly touching the realms of machine learning and ANNs :D

It still is interesting to compare a flat photo texture to the recently posted screen shots of MSFS, and speculate how to combine the best of both words :wink:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Yes, indeed! If this had some vertical depth, it would certainly look a lot better.
legoboyvdlp

Postby lomar » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:02 pm

is it possible to use OSM2City buildings and roads on top of the photoscenery? maybe this could help with the "flatness"
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:09 pm

I decided to re-post a couple images from the Photoscenery topic as that address a couple concerns and questions here. I also had edited earlier posts in that topic and want to make sure people see the results after a bit of cleanup.

This is against my custom Kansas scenery. I did an entire tile photo at 4096 giving me a cut texture at 1024 x 512.
This includes the latest updates to the photoscenery patch.

is it possible to use OSM2City buildings and roads on top of the photoscenery?

Yes, see images below.

however, you can definitely notice the vegetation.

I'm not sure why yours is so broke in this area. In fact, I am able to use the Kansas custom material definitions with this to get the vegetation and building effects I want, I believe. Notice the nice hedge rows? Notice the town has a nice collection of trees. I did notice that some trees are on top of some of the OSM buildings, but I thought it was doing that with my regular scenery as well.

I've been doing a considerable amount of exploring in MSFS2020 and this isn't that far off. Once you start adding vegetation, buildings and roads, your basically ending up with the same thing.

Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:16 pm

I think it's just the older material definitions which aren't so advanced (ireland + UK is long due an update) -- they probably aren't using the masks.

I didn't realize that the underlying mask would be used -- so that's actually pretty good.
legoboyvdlp

Postby Hooray » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:28 pm

As I mentioned elsewhere, please consider uploading some of the nicer shots to the wiki so that these can be reused to update the photoscenery/newsletter/changelog accordingly.

Thank you !

PS: Obviously, updating the article itself to reflect the latest developments/progress would also seem like a good idea :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 pm

You more than welcome to do that with any image I post to the forum.

If I remembered how and didn't have to invest time learning how to do it again I would consider it. Wiki page creation and editing is not my forte and I struggled to learn it the first time I dabbled with it.

I really wish it came easy for me as it is a good idea. But Idon't wish to take the time to re-learn how. It would take me much longer than someone already familiar with it. So for now I will leave it up to others.
By the way I really do appreciate it when someone takes the initiative to add something I have developed and do a write up on it, such as the Cargo Hauling addon article someone added to the newsletter. Thank you, I really appreciated it.
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:39 pm

OK, just for the fun of it, compare MSFS2020 with FGFS2020's new satellite capable option.
These are close to matching the photos I took above. I'll let you all be the judge of it! :)

EDIT: To clarify, these images are of MSFS2020 hi-detail scenery with "live weather".
Last edited by wlbragg on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Warner Springs - Lake Henshaw California
Pretty impressive. The lake is not as nice as it could be as it is using old "standard" scenery of that area for the water land class, so it doesn't fit the current sat shoreline.
Pulling all my index tile textures @ 4096 x 2048.

Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:14 am

I thought this was rather interesting. This is 16k photo scenery of the ElDorado Refinery. What I found interesting is how well the tanks in the scenery model database positions matched the ortho image. The shadows are in the image and the tanks are in the models database. Pretty close!
AirCrane over the Eldorado Refinery
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby Johan G » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Nice. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby ludomotico » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:10 pm

One thing I like is how nicely photoscenery scenery integrates with current scenery. Runways and taxiways use synthetic materials, airport grass (and surrounding areas) use photoscenery. I wonder if you can select which materials photoscenery can overwrite. Obviously, it is not overwriting runways, taxiways, aprons, roads and water surfaces.

LERS (Salou-Reus, medium size internation airport, Spain). 4k orthophotos (not 16k). Short final and the flying club area.

LEBL (Barcelona, with osm2city)

If the region already has good shapes and custom materials, ortophotos and synthetic scenery blend quite well. Two examples of areas where photoscenery meets synthetic scenery.

You can see the line where photoscenery and default scenery align. If conditions are right, the line is fairly blurred. But, sometimes, photoscenery does not blend seamlessly with itself! The next example shows what happens if photos were taken under different lighting conditions. This example shows default scenery (bottom-right), and a SINGLE tile apparently using TWO photos (bottom-left and up-right). This tile was served by arcgis as is.

ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby awen » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:43 pm

ludomotico wrote in Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:10 pm:I wonder if you can select which materials photoscenery can overwrite. Obviously, it is not overwriting runways, taxiways, aprons, roads and water surfaces.

I would like to know how you made it possible to show photo scenery under the airport layout. In my case, the grass blocks all photo scenery and looks really weird.
awen

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby montagdude » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:06 pm

I've gotta try this in some areas where I have custom scenery with OSM and good landclass definitions. Some of those images look quite good even at low altitude.
montagdude

Next

Return to Media