Board index FlightGear Media

Videoing a flight for my You tube channel.

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Videoing a flight for my You tube channel.

Postby gray1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 am

Hello to one & all,
can someone give me a brief guide about how I video/film a flight that I can put on my You Tube channel please. I'd also like to add audio comments if possible.

Thank you in advance.
Gray. UK.
gray1

Re: Videoing a flight for my You tube channel.

Postby Isaak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 am

OBS is a widely used free software for screen capturing and streaming.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Indeed it seems that OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a popular choice for making recordings. For for recording the voice-over Audacity probably is a good choice.

I am not really sure about what video editing software to recommend, but if you are familiar with the user interface of Blender, it actually have an at least somewhat decent video editor built in.

Regarding the audio, you can do a lot to improve the dialog audio and audio overall, like using reasonable recording levels, slight compression, dampening a few frequencies with the equalizer and loudness normalization (usually in that order). Today normalization is more aimed at getting the average level to a certain level rather than just the peaks. [1] A good free plugin to measure this is the Youlean Loudness Meter. it seems YouTube is normalizing to -14 LUFS. [1]

You can do a lot with a cheap lavalier microphone and free software and plugins. Pareto's principle apply here (20% of the effort makes 80% of the results, you just need to know where to put the effort), and for audio equipment there is a steep diminishing return of investment. Past the threshold of reasonably good equipment most people will not notice the difference in audio quality if the price tag get another digit.

For the principles I can recommend looking around at YouTube videos by for example Alex Knickerbocker, Curtis Judd and Rodolfo Piedras (RLFO Sound). Some good ones being How To Get Better Dialog - Three Tools (14 min), How to set up lavalier microphones / Rycote + Ursa tape +Topstick and more (14 minutes, though most of it is not really relevant here).
____
[1] Mastering audio for Soundcloud, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon Music and Youtube, Mastering The Mix, May 26, 2020

Edit: Added some missing words.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby V12 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:21 pm

I use opensource Shotcut video editor. That software has all needed functions for basic videoediting tasks. And can utilize hardware video encoder on modern GPUs.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby vnts » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:44 am

Flightgear can either use GPU power to render more of the same pixels at higher resolution (or higher AA) or use some of that GPU power to create new graphics content/detail - more content vs more of the same/boring pixels tradeoff. /If/ don't you have an excess of GPU power you could run at a lower resolution like 720p/480p but with better graphics/detail and use of zoom when needed - everyone used to be fine with videos at even 480p. Replaying an FG tape might make FPS better, and should make camera angles/comments easier too. OBS might have an option use Interesting content, routes, rendering, camera/lighting angles, OSM2City/project3000 scenery, with stunning weather has more effect than a straightforward 4k 60 FPS video at lower settings. If you have a relatively recent system with a recent discrete GPU then you can have both ends of the tradeoff. I believe youtube transcodes videos into it's own lossy formats - so it helps to follow their recommended settings, and if you have a fast connection, upload a less lossily compressed video at higher bitrate than their recommendations (but details like this is less important than content in the video).

If setting up audio recording is time consuming, text also works. Maybe with some music with a suitable license. AIUI Text also has the benefit of getting used by youtubes' ranking algorithm (which as I've read, unfortunately doesn't have the same goal as google's video search (user satisfaction with results) and is designed to keep people on youtube watching ads longer by ranking&promoting the wrong type of videos).

The screenshot guide [1] should help with using weather & environment. The wiki doesn't appear to have a guide for videos.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby gray1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Thank you to all of you for your specific advice.
This weekend I will try all of these to see which I find the easiest to understand.
I've had a quick look on Google tutorial videos & some content is great, some a bit to fast & difficult to understand. But now, thanks to the Flightgear community, I have many valuable options. I will relay my success on this post, so thank you for taking time out of your days to provide me with information.

Best Regards,
Gray. UK.
gray1

Postby montagdude » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:13 pm

I use SimpleScreenRecorder to record and kdenlive for editing.
montagdude

Postby StanMoller » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:40 pm

It depends on your preferences. Actually, OBS is a nice software. As far as I know, most people use it. I've also heard of Bandicam, but I've never used it. It's free, btw. Mainly I use movavi. Here's the link for it. I think you'd better choose a random software and just give it a shot. I'd be really grateful to you if you shared your thoughts on that after trying filming. I'm curious to see your result. Do you have a youtube channel? Anyway, guys, let's keep the thread updated. Best wishes.
Last edited by StanMoller on Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
StanMoller

Postby V12 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 pm

I found Geforce Experience, this nVidia software can record too. IMHO, with nVidia I have few framedrops in recorded video than in OBS.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby helijah » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:45 pm

There is only one rule:

“There are no good or bad tools. There are good or bad users.”

Do your own tests, try several software programs, try and try again. And make your own choices based on your own preferences and the experience you have gained.

Some will tell you that this software is better than another and others will tell you the opposite. But above all, it's how you feel about your tools and how comfortable you are with them that takes precedence.

Regards Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby shawn » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 pm

Filming a flight for your YouTube channel involves capturing both the visuals of the flight and your audio commentary. Ensure you have a good quality camera or smartphone for video and a decent microphone for clear audio. During the flight, try to capture various phases, like takeoff, cruising, and landing, for a comprehensive view. For adding audio comments, you can record your voice during the flight or add a voiceover during editing to narrate the experience or provide insights.
shawn

Callsign: shawn / SFshawn
Version: 2.10

Postby merspieler » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 pm

actually, for recording video, you don't want to use a camera, you want to use software such as obs to directly capture the screen without an additional digital -> analog -> digital conversion which causes LOTS of issues.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby VonS » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:32 am

@gray, if you are on Windows 10/11, try also video recording using Game Bar, and then if you want to compress a video further recommended is VLC Player.

I'm currently tinkering with the Game Bar/VLC Player combination for FG and it works fine.

Another option is the video-recording feature available in the overclocking software MSI Afterburner, and then the same compression route once again, via VLC Player. MSI however produces much larger video files than Game Bar - so something to consider if tight on hard drive space. The simpler solution, compared to MSI, is Game Bar plus VLC Player for vid. compression.

Cheers & good video editing to you.
~ For my FE2 / WoFF / RoF mods, as well as AMD-vid tips for FlightGear, see my CombatAce profile and click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
VonS

Version: 2020.3.19

Return to Media