Board index FlightGear Media

Sightseeing over the Moon with the UFO

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Sightseeing over the Moon with the UFO

Postby eatdirt » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:06 am

This started as a curiosity of what are all these things in Shaders/, a lot of data in the public domain, a fantastic open source code (FG), and a week of obsession to just write 100 lines of moon-high.frag.

A lot of issues still there, plus the big imposture ends up putting the sun where it should not, still, I am finding it breathtaking :shock:

Take a ride:

moonshaders.webm
Edit: 12 more minutes, nicer model:
moonshaders_2.webm

Credits: Thorsten, Chris Blues and a bit of myself.

PS: For those who want their own ride, I'll post the various coding in the EarthView thread soon (viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15754)
Edit: The link (posted below) is: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15754&p=369043#p369043

Cheers,
Chris.
Last edited by eatdirt on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eatdirt

Re: Sightseeing over the Moon with the UFO

Postby GinGin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:03 pm

Impressive work.
Quality of Moon textures is neat, looks alike HD Moon tiles in Orbiter.

Looking forward for your future post
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:17 pm

That is cool! I suppose someone could make a texture scheme for the moon and run terragear using moon elevations and we could potentially develop moon scenarios past and future. From orbit to landing. I wonder how much work would be involved in changing the physics numbers to match the moon.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby eatdirt » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks guys. For the ride, it is there:

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15754&p=369043#p369043

Some warnings, the UFO is crashing on 2020.* after a while due to some ATC AI traffic bug (reported on SF). So, enjoy the ride, till the crash :)
eatdirt

Postby Alant » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:37 pm

Should I get Dan Dare's Anastasia out of my cupboard ?
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby vnts » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Looks spectacular :mrgreen:

wlbragg wrote in Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:17 pm:I suppose someone could make a texture scheme for the moon and run terragear using moon elevations and we could potentially develop moon scenarios past and future. From orbit to landing.

Available data might be a bit low resolution for terragear and landing in the way Earth works(?). AIUI elevation data on other planets like Moon (or Mars) is from orbital laser altimetry from satellites? May be low res, especially if it's an old mission. The elevation data is also probably defined with respect to a different reference ellipsoid than Earth (the oval-ish sphere shape of a planet which bulges at the equator due to rotation), and the data might be in a special file format..so may need post processing before feeding into the terragear tool chain, or just converting data to .btg format which AIUI uses a geocentric coordinate system.

The current version is sort of the texture version, a heightmap rendering I think, with photo textures..adding land classification for use with regional texturing might be very hard unless there are already maps released

Adding terrain complexity procedurally on the GPU beyond the (limited?) resolution of laser altimetry data, and whatever source is currently being used, may become easier & faster in future years. AIUI the plan for next gen scenery [1] involves targeting open GL 3.3 API core profile by dropping support for older API - and presumably extensions beyond that are ok(?). If this plan works out, it should(?) allow using ARB_tesselation_shader [2] extension to access proper tesselation shaders. These are faster and less bounded when doing tesselation than general purpose geometry shaders. I'd guess the idea would be to tesselate and add more/rougher noise based on a measure of 'roughness' derived from the low resolution data - maybe by post processing it to create a map of roughness and any other useful properties to generate noise. For example it can get rougher as the 'local' gradient gets steeper, or maybe as the local height gets increases. Maybe such a scheme would work by sampling a noise heightmap and adding that on top of the low res elevation data. This higher res result would be used when finding positions for vertices generated by tesselation. The idea being the noise heightmap would add octaves of noise with smoothly varying amplitude in different places based on a roughness map that gives noise properties. Smooth areas would get low frequency, low amplitude noise. Rugged areas would get larger amplitudes across all noise frequencies. If a terrain classification raster was also available, it would be conceptually like WS 3.0:) But it's a far off possibility

Kind regards
vnts

Postby Alant » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:43 pm

DEM data for the moon is available,
The moon appears to have just one terrain classification : - grey rock/powder.
Why are you making things complicated?
A simple model based upon available DEM and one landclass would be a good start point.
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:24 am

Beautiful!!!!!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control Systems, Basic Animations
Aircraft: MD-11 (Mainly), A320-family, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's Hangar|Launcher Catalog
|MD Dev Discord|Airbus Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
Version: next

Postby vnts » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Alant wrote in Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:43 pm:DEM data for the moon is available,
The moon appears to have just one terrain classification : - grey rock/powder.
Why are you making things complicated?
A simple model based upon available DEM and one landclass would be a good start point.

I wasn't implying a DEM data wasn't available. I was saying there are DEMs (likely from orbital laser altimetry), but /might/ require another processing step not covered by existing tools that deal with Earth based data - to change to geocentric coordinates from elevation above the moon's reference surface, or to change format from NASA's dataset. It's also possible the data is available in geocentric coordinates, and maybe even in a format used by tools which work with Earth terrain. If it isn't it may be simpler to skip Terragear altogether and simply translate directly to .btg file format in suitable tiles. It may also be the case that landing would not look as expected from experience landing on Earth if the data was low res - but this might be fixable by adding procedural detail on the GPU in /future years/ so eventually FG could conceivably have both Moon and Mars at high detail, if there was interest.

As for texturing I was saying the current scheme already pretty much did texturing i.e. so it would be possible to modify an existing terrain shader to do the same lookup + access to terrain effects that are added on top like grain detail configurable through the material system. If there was classification data already available as images then that could be looked up as well and used to alter visuals a bit (the regolith covering the surface is made of small particles/dust because of impacts from micrometerites as well as high energy particles which also change optical properties. High energy particles are the reason asteriods are also dull/reddish in colour. However less 'weathered' rock is seen AIUI in areas exposed by big meteorite impacts & the deposition of rocks thrown up, steep cliffs, channels in lava etc. It's not just the diffuse colours in a texture that matter, the nature of the surface changes the way light scatters back with phenomena like the opposition effect of the regolith being notable on the moon. If there wasn't land classification already available it is probably a lot more work to classify it.)

Hope that clarifies it, without the detail about how

Kind regards
vnts

Postby eatdirt » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 pm

12 more minutes with some improvements. Lighting is mostly correct, it was just a matter to put some simgear ephemeris on the property-tree like the moon RA/DEC and tweak the earthview model to rotate with the moon orbit. Most of the seams are gone thanks to redundant tiles borders between neighboring tiles.

Not perfect, but if we indeed add other bodies one day, that's is clearly doable, and without too much effort. Simgear has already all the ephemeris for all planets. It just misses a bit of extra-data such as north-pole tilt angle and day duration.

moonshaders_2.webm

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby erik » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:45 am

Nice, it gives a better impression of the moon that I've ever seen. It's just that my old model is a bit of a let down in the video's.

Maybe we should switch to a newer model:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36252&start=0

Erik
erik

Postby eatdirt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:57 pm

Wow, so cool Erik, I am gonna try!
eatdirt

Postby vnts » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:33 am

Also

A certain mysterious police box :mrgreen: (recent release by Cobe)

Danube shuttle (link)

IIRC also seeing screenshots of a full sized Star Trek ship, but not sure where it's from

There's almost certainly at least one monolith in one of the shadowed areas in the texture :D

Have only taken a quick look, moon looks fantastic

Kind regards
vnts

Postby eatdirt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:51 am

Thanks the link, a lot of star ships to try in addition to the TARDIS.

There's almost certainly at least one monolith in one of the shadowed areas in the texture

Lol. If you pay attention, you can actually see quite cool stuff, like the swirls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_swirls
eatdirt

Return to Media