Board index FlightGear Media

Hello! To The FlightGear Forums

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Hello! To The FlightGear Forums

Postby TheMightyPilot » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Well, Hello!
I am TheMightyPilot, I have just created my account on the forums today, however, I have been using FlightGear for about a year or so now. Ok, so your probably wondering why I am posting this in 'Media', I have a YouTube channel called VersI in which was started as a gaming channel, however, seems to have been taken over by FlightGear videos from now on :D

Since I have been using FG for a while now and I commonly fly from Edinburgh Airport, Scotland (which is only a terminal, tower and tanks), I want to start working on FG, mostly on the models for certain airports I fly from, starting with EDI. But anyway, to where my channel and this being in 'Media' fits in, I will be creating the videos of the process/progress on there.

I'm going to leave a few of my FG videos from my channel on here but not the direct link as my channel has some 18+ videos I would say :? requires a cleanup.
(All the videos of FlightGear are fine and suitable for all ages IMO)

TheMightyPilot

Callsign: G-EDIM

Re: Hello! To The FlightGear Forums

Postby stuart » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Great to see someone flying around Edinburgh.

If you're not aware of it already, Eric "Winkle" Brown at one point flew a loop under the Forth Rail Bridge in a Seafire during WWII. He flew under one span, then over the top and back under the other span. At the time the authorities thought it was a Spitfire, so he was never caught. He admitted to it some 70 years later in an interview just before he died. Truly amazing flying!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby TheMightyPilot » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:52 am

Thanks Stuart.
Did not know about Eric "Winkle" Brown, that's amazing, thanks for sharing that.
I've heard of one other person (commented on one of my videos) who flies around Scotland in FG, however sticks to Glasgow mainly since Edinburgh Airport is not fully completed, hopefully I will get to work on that soon and get it built up a bit more

-TheMightyPilot
MP Callsign: G-EDIM
MP Server: mpserver01
MP Main Areas: Scotland + Slovenia
Common Aircraft: C172, C150, B707, B777
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT5TfSumpeJjM5knowqGrww
TheMightyPilot

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:55 am

Hi,

Eric "Winkle" Brown is one of my aviation heros, and has only recently become more widely known. Well worth borrowing his autobiography "Wings on my sleeve" from the library, or trying to find a recording of his Desert Island Disks (he was the 3000th guest). Quite an amazing story.

He holds a number of aviation records, inlcuding the number of different types of aircraft he flew (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... e%22_Brown), many of which you can fly in FlightGear!, and the largest number of carrier landings.

On a different topic, there is someone else on the forum who has started work on scenery in the area - he's recently complete the Queensferry Crossing. You should be able to find him if you search the forums.

Most of the (poor) quality models around Edinburgh are my work. I did them years ago before I realized that I'm not much of a modeller!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:43 am

That book was one of my favourites... definitely a good read!

Welcome to the forums ;)

Your videos are good -> look forward to seeing more of them.

- Lego
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby TheMightyPilot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Eric "Winkle" Brown is one of my aviation heros, and has only recently become more widely known. Well worth borrowing his autobiography "Wings on my sleeve" from the library, or trying to find a recording of his Desert Island Disks (he was the 3000th guest). Quite an amazing story.

He holds a number of aviation records, inlcuding the number of different types of aircraft he flew (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... e%22_Brown), many of which you can fly in FlightGear!, and the largest number of carrier landings.

Will need to do some research. Sounds awesome.

On a different topic, there is someone else on the forum who has started work on scenery in the area - he's recently complete the Queensferry Crossing. You should be able to find him if you search the forums.

Yeah, should do probably, I don't want to conflict with any work he's doing around the area. I remember the crossing opened and then a day or so later he had that model live on FG, that's how you know a program/software/project is alive and has a community behind it.

Most of the (poor) quality models around Edinburgh are my work. I did them years ago before I realized that I'm not much of a modeller!

Cool, hey, that tower model has made my day during some flights used it as a 'welcome back' beacon many times from long hauls.

Welcome to the forums ;)

Your videos are good -> look forward to seeing more of them.

Thank you! Much appreciated. Got quite a lot of FDRs saved up so will get that edited soon and see how making a video comprised solely of them works out.
MP Callsign: G-EDIM
MP Server: mpserver01
MP Main Areas: Scotland + Slovenia
Common Aircraft: C172, C150, B707, B777
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT5TfSumpeJjM5knowqGrww
TheMightyPilot

Return to Media