Board index FlightGear Media

Helicopter harassment... or, things you've never seen in FG.

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Helicopter harassment... or, things you've never seen in FG.

Postby chriscalef » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Just thought I'd drop in to share, apologies for the framerate and the terrible rotor effects, this is a live video capture with VirtualDub, from Torque3D, while running FlightGear and also rendering a separate movie in Blender, so my CPU was a bit occupied at the time. But my Ka50 (thank you @Emmanuel Baranger!) can now interact with my human actors. And it's surprisingly fun. :twisted:

chriscalef

Re: Helicopter harassment... or, things you've never seen in

Postby Johan G » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Oh, so you are herding humans. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:34 am

FWIW, I do think that we had cows (and possibly other cattle) respond to aircraft in the early 2000s - I believe it was Erik, Norman or Melchior who implemented that at the time.
Given that this is video is featuring a military aircraft and that the video looks eerily similar to war-zone coverage we get to see on the news, this might be considered controversial by some folks ... especially if you add a FLIR/night-vision filter and some actual payloads.

Anyway, at that point, you can stop making games and sell the whole thing as a "war-zone simulator" ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 pm

I believe I recall Marc Kraus made a horse that could be herded with a helicopter, such as in Australia
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby chriscalef » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:57 pm

And, it's gotten worse... we are now blowing the **** out of humans. If it makes anybody feel any better, this is not being done technically *in* FlightGear... and if you follow my project all the way through you will find that it is being done with a virulently anti-war message, not a glorification in any way, shape or form.

That being said: Sorry for the terrible particle effects, my weekend ran out before I got Blender's particle systems under control - but soon we will have rocket trails and explosions, for now we have a placeholder. What we do have is rockets launching out of our helicopter, receiving collision callbacks from PhysX when they hit the ground (which is a bit of an ordeal in PhysX 3.x) and creating explosion effects among the hapless humans.

chriscalef

Postby Hooray » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:34 pm

If this was using a little more fgfs related technologies, this could be of interest to some folks given that the 3D models can undoubtedly be changed to make the whole thing less controversial ;-)
Anyway, from a "combat sim" standpoint this could certainly be of interest to some folks here (think flug's Bombable addon).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby chriscalef » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm

One thing that I have found very interesting is that I'm having a _much_ easier time flying (and especially landing) the helicopter in my game engine than I do in FlightGear. I think the reason for that is because of the accurate realtime shadow on the ground. I almost felt bad for "cheating" by using a third person view instead of a cockpit view, but then I realized at my level of helicopter piloting skill, I need all the help I can get!

But I did find it interesting.
chriscalef

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08 pm

something else, too, that may be helping you is the physics employed by your game engine... unless maybe somehow it is the FG physics in play and your game engine is only displaying what FG tells it to display...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chriscalef » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:35 am

Yeah, the helicopter is being driven only by FlightGear - all of the other physics (humans, rockets, etc.) is being handled by PhysX on the game engine side.
chriscalef

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:21 pm

i would guess that control over the vehicle being easier would be due to the craft's position updates being somewhat slower then when in-sim... likely because of the gathering and packaging for transmission from FG... but that's just another eWAG ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Media