Board index FlightGear Media

Making entertaining videos – (hopefully) constructive feedba

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 3

Postby chris_blues » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Well, I suggest we all sleep over this, and come back to think about it tomorrow, or the day after that. I know from experience as an artist, that criticism can hurt badly. I also learned with much pain, that it almost always is meant positively. If someone would mean bad, they wouldn't bother criticising...

Anyway, lets stop this here and let some grass grow over this...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:21 am

And ypour feedback of my posts makes me ANGRY.

That may be so, but do you seriously propose that I stop writing what I think (as long as I do it in a polite way) in a public forum? Or, to spin this further, should I get a delete button to remove all forum posts which make me angry?

As far as I can judge there's no reason for you to get angry, I've told you my critique, but I've done it in a respectful way, I've made suggestions how I would improve things but also written that I recognize that others may see things differently - if that still makes you angry, I'm sorry for you but that's life - it will continue to happen to you.

Anyway, since you obviously don't value feedback, I will refrain commenting on any of your videos and just not click on them any more.

For example HOW SHOULD WE DO IT WITH OUR COMPUTERS.

You seem to have a very odd notion about the commercial video market. Imagine me doing a SciFi movie on a 3000$ budget, and then complaining that Stephen Spielberg gets all the applause and everyone giggles about my effort on the grounds that how should I do it with that budget? The answer is obvious - I can't compete against his 100M $.

If you want to be an oil painter, you have to invest in colors and canvas, if you want to be a sculptor you have to buy some marble, if you want to make a SciFi movie you need the budget and if you want to make interesting FG videos, you need the hardware.

Commercial video-making is a competition for the attention of the viewer, not a fairness game where there's some extra award if you come with weak hardware.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinSierra » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 am

nothing
Last edited by PavlinSierra on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PavlinSierra
Retired

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016 4.4

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:17 am

A Shuttle is a difficult machine to operate it seems... runs perfectly fine for me, so perhaps there's an issue at your end config-wise? Anyway, since I don't actually want to talk to you... let's leave this here.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinSierra » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am

nothing
Last edited by PavlinSierra on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PavlinSierra
Retired

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:33 am

As I said, I don't see this on my setup and I don't want to talk to you, so let's just leave it here.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinSierra » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 am

nothing
Last edited by PavlinSierra on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PavlinSierra
Retired

Postby HerbergsTV » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 am

Gentlemen,
What is the offence for? Pavlin what do you think? It has something to do with respect. Thorsten just give you constructive critic and you getting angry of this critic. He never said something bad to you just critic. As artist you can do what ever you want with this critic take it or leave it. But what you comment, its in a way which is not fair and is not good. You always talking about to respect each other but what you are doing here with the comment:
Fix your space shuttle, than you can talk to me like this.

This is respectless and has nothing to do with a fair conversation or discussion.

You started to bring hard arguments in and not Thorsten.

Do not forget that this project is Open source and you even do not know if Thorsten is the programmer of the space shuttle. You start involving also other people which have nothing to do with the discussion!

Fair and lovely comment on the discussion about good or bad videos!!!

Regards

Herberg (D-ZULU)
HerbergsTV

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 am

Pavlin, I see no reason to be insulted by you. Luckily this forum has an ignore button, which I'm now going to push. Unfortunately that'll cut you off from a large fraction of the bug support provided in this forum by yours truly, but that's how it is. Should you feel this is an unfair measure, please write a polite PM and I'll reconsider.

Have a great day.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinSierra » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:50 am

nothing
PavlinSierra
Retired

Postby icecode » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm

I love how in literally ANY other forum on the internet Pavlin would be considered to be trolling, and probably instantly banned. Instead, he gets to insult a regular contributor of the project and childishly mock him about his obviously superior work. There is no comparison between recording a bad video and authoring the space shuttle. I really don't get how this guy is allowed to do all of that.
icecode

Version: next

Postby PavlinSierra » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 pm

nothing
Last edited by PavlinSierra on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PavlinSierra
Retired

Postby icecode » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:13 pm

"Art", oh shut up
icecode

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:14 pm

PavlinSierra, this is just not correct. Thorsten did not at all insult your art. Correct is that he gave (constructive, which is very important) critic, but I can't see the point why that should be bad. In a society, you can't live without respecting critic and noone producing anything can ever get good if he doesn't respect constructive critic and take it serious or at least have a close look on it - You said that it's very important for you to get many views on your videos and Thorsten tried to help you getting to this aim - so there's once again no reason for you to get angry and behave - sorry if this you're feeling insulted by this - like a little child which is basically what you're doing when you're bringing a fully irrelevant to this discussion issue you have with the shuttle up.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby curt » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:42 pm

If someone gives you amazingly positive feedback all the time and are always telling you how great you are, they are probably recruiting you ... or have something else in mind. Of course that's not always the case, many people are truly and genuinely positive personalities. Accepting criticism and external evaluation without letting your emotions run out of control is a very valuable skill to develop if you plan on working with other people or doing anything in the software or engineering fields, or pretty much anything in life.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Media