Board index FlightGear Media

New splash screens needed

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

New splash screens needed

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 am

Hello, I'm working on overhauling the splash screens to include more information and improve the layout. As a result, I need some new splash-screen assets, so I thought I would ask for contributions!

Criteria:
    - 1024 x 768 resolution
    - no border, text or logo elements (basically a screenshot)
    - very minimal post-processing (I won't say none, but no graphical effects we can't do in the sim, such as blur or lens flare)
    - only featuring standard scenery and aircraft, no other add-ons
    - makes the simulator look good :)
    - variation across the screens - if everyone submits screens of the 707 or Shuttle, I will still only pick one of that aircraft!

Currently we have five splash screens, I will pick a similar number (between four and eight) based on what people offer!

You can see a prototype of the new splash screen layout here:
Image (More examples: http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/screenshots/previews/new-splash-2.png, http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/screenshots/previews/new-splash-logo.png
(but the exact layout, sizing, wording is still evolving) - the main thing is to realise there's going to be text overlaid on the splash images programmatically.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Re: New splash screens needed

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:47 pm

zakalawe wrote in Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 am:the main thing is to realise there's going to be text overlaid on the splash images programmatically.

Note to anyone interested in this functionality without being restricted by core development bottlenecks, that we talked about, prototyped and implemented, the whole thing several years ago (3+) already using the Canvas system (and some Nasal glue) in response to people wanting more "dynamic" splash screens at the time, for the details (and code snippets/patches) refer to discussions initiated by hvengel and others, e.g.:

Besides, this work was also initiated at the encouragement of FlightGear core developer Zakalawe in response to him wanting to "unify the 2D rendering back-end", as well as "intialize Nasal earlier".

In other words, using/touching C++ code to implement this functionality would be redundant, unnecessary and very unfortunate in the light of this work, and especially in the light of strong words of encouragement to work on these features.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby erik » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Erik, and others who might do the same: a note of caution, the new system clips the edges based on aspect ratio, so on a wide-screen monitor, your example above will tend to clip the wing of the glider. The clipping does what you would expect, finds the largest box of the same aspect ratio as the window / monitor and uses that. For your image above, simply tilting the camera up should improve things.
zakalawe

Postby Thorsten » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Did anyone say Shuttle?

:mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby erik » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:07 pm

zakalawe wrote in Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:54 pm:Erik, and others who might do the same: a note of caution, the new system clips the edges based on aspect ratio, so on a wide-screen monitor, your example above will tend to clip the wing of the glider. The clipping does what you would expect, finds the largest box of the same aspect ratio as the window / monitor and uses that. For your image above, simply tilting the camera up should improve things.

That effectively rules out the Paraglider then.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:23 pm

PA-18 over Bergen

Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:30 pm

You may not be interested in this one, but just in case..

wlbragg

Postby dg-505 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm

A few suggestions, of course featuring my favourite aircraft :wink: :mrgreen:

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505

Postby zakalawe » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:47 pm

erik wrote in Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:07 pm:That effectively rules out the Paraglider then.
Erik

Err, I would imagine by tilting / shifting the camera viewpoint that should not be the case, but I will defer to your judgement on that!
zakalawe

Postby erik » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Try it for fun an decide for yourself.

Erik
erik

Postby erik » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:39 am

It turns out if a16:9 screen shot is used then the top and bottom of the image are is not chopped but the sides are. In which case the Paraglider could be shown in the preview window.

Erik
erik

Postby wlbragg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:24 pm

I just finished a round of splash/preview shots and too late realized that 1024x768 works OK for preview but less than optimal for splash. For the splash they aren't quite high enough resolution.
You can see it for yourselves in addon/J3Cub.

p.s. I realize I have way too many shots, the combined file size was legacy splash are 2.8mb but the Previews are 47mb. I need to be way more specific, narrow it down to one external image per variant plus a couple interior and a few utility package shots.
wlbragg

Postby FighterAce » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:49 am

I would be more than happy to contribute screenshots! Are there any specific aircraft that you would like pictures of? Also, will FlightGear resize the picture, or will I need it to be a specific size when I upload it?
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Return to Media