Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 3

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 3

Postby fmg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Somewhere round Bienenfarm...

fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby ausdkunst » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:09 am

With PavlinS's and some testing, I present to you my 180º view of XR-Tampa MkII helicopter take off video :P
BULLDOG RS (The No.1 place for Flightgear automobile): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/
ausdkunst

Callsign: bulldog
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Some nice weather during bailout-tests. The Shuttle has now the AP channel to hold her steady and slow during crew bailout if no runway can be reached - which is why we're just heading down into the sea here.

The location incidentially is close to Rapa Nui (Easter Island) - which never has been used, but would have been a transoceanic abort site for Shuttle launches from Vandenberg. I've supplied guidance info for it, but the runway is rather short and it's difficult to not break the spacecraft.
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:13 pm

Shuttle-crew bailout? Would that be done with parachutes and inflatable boats? That would also be some nice thing to model! The walker can do parachuting and much of that stuff...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian testing 64bit - Athlon II 2x2.6GHz - 8GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 pm

did you ever see the crew preparing for launch at the top of the tower? remember those large orange packs they put on their backs and got all cinched into before they entered the shuttle to be strapped in there? those were their chutes in those orange backpacks... i don't know anything about inflatable boats, though... they already had enough to do to get out of their seats, get to the hatch and get it blown open and finally extending the escape pole which helped to guide them away from the leading edge of the wing... from there it was like most any other parachute outing ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chris_blues » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Well, as I stated before, I'm about clueless about shuttle operations. This sounds intriguing to me...

But, keeping in mind, NASA (hopefully) probably planned to make such emergency abort procedures over the ocean, rather than over populated land, my guess was they should have some kind of floatation in store... Come thinking of it, a pressure suit inflated might just do the trick...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm

i think it was more of get out where ever you can... you're already locked into two minutes of SRB flight... decent discussion here -> http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/1325/why-didnt-the-space-shuttle-have-a-launch-escape-system

escape system testing video here...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chris_blues » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:03 am

That looks adventurous! :)

Thanks wkitty42, for sharing this! I really never knew, there was sth like this planned. Looking at the actual shuttle desasters, there really was no time whatsoever to do anything. So sad! I hope we (humankind) do better the next time...
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Parnikkapore » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:18 am

ausdkunst wrote in Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:09 am:With PavlinS's and some testing, I present to you my 180º view of XR-Tampa MkII helicopter take off video :P

Ooh,you've learned it!

Next time,for 180° views,pillarbox the video so that the actual video is centered,half the size of the frame. In VR/Spherical videos the video is assumed to be 360°x180°, Full Sphere, in Equirectangular projection.
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:24 am

Shuttle-crew bailout? Would that be done with parachutes and inflatable boats?

Parachutes, no boats. The crew has the 'pumpkin suits' on at this point - they're water tight, have their own air supply and would float. And the weather is presumably nice - otherwise there'd not been a launch in the first place.

In the event of an early two engine failure (or three engines), the Shuttle can under many conditions survive the entry back into the atmosphere, but may not be able to reach a runway. It's been estimated that the survival probability ditching it with 230 kt touchdown speed are low - so if you on a contingency abort and there's no runway, the crew bails out once the craft goes subsonic (and of course calls coast guard giving the location first!)

(There is not and was never a contingency scenario for a major explosion like Challenger - you just can't survive that).

It'd be nice to rig a parachutist actually doing it...
Thorsten

Postby ausdkunst » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 am

Parnikkapore wrote in Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:18 am:
ausdkunst wrote in Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:09 am:With PavlinS's and some testing, I present to you my 180º view of XR-Tampa MkII helicopter take off video :P

Ooh,you've learned it!

Next time,for 180° views,pillarbox the video so that the actual video is centered,half the size of the frame. In VR/Spherical videos the video is assumed to be 360°x180°, Full Sphere, in Equirectangular projection.

HAHA I will keep that in mind next time I make another video :)
BULLDOG RS (The No.1 place for Flightgear automobile): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/
ausdkunst

Callsign: bulldog
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Hell it was!
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:28 am

Flying the SAS CRJ900 from Bergen to Molde:
D-ECHO

Postby J Maverick 16 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:16 am

This pic makes me willing to do airline flights more often.
Regards, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Find me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16 and YouTube
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Yes! I can definetely recommend Norway as a great place to fly, with many airports and a beautiful scenery ;)
D-ECHO

PreviousNext

Return to Media