Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 3

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 3

Postby chris_blues » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 pm

We (my family and I) took a trip in the shuttle last night: [Yet another space night] :)

Drifting along above India, nearly completing our first orbit:

Crossing the atlantic ocean:

I finally managed to open the payload doors. Judging from the angle, I guess this is atlantic as well:

Edit:
[Sidenote]
One thing I noticed, that the amount of stars dramatically reduces during daytime on earth. Shouldn't this be rather constant in orbit? I realize, that an illuminated planet surface severely adds to the ambient light levels, so I guess the stars would fade a bit, relatively to the ambient light levels. Though I would not expect such a decrease...
[/Sidenote]
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian testing 64bit - Athlon II 2x2.6GHz - 8GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:14 pm

This has been discussed previously, but you do actually not see stars during the day portion of an orbit (nor did the Apollo astronauts see them from the lunar surface). Nor are they very prominent on daytime orbital photographs of the Shuttle. Brightness-adapted eyes just aren't sensitive enough, and cameras just barely.

(You could theoretically stare at a dark spot long enough for your eyes to become darkness adapted in orbit, and then you could look at the sky and see stars - but that's a bit beyond our capability to simulate).
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Ok, I wasn't aware, that earth emits that much light! :)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:55 pm

I am a bit puzzled as to why you're in MM 103 while crossing the Atlantic (that should have moved to 104 after the end of powered flight and ET disconnect) and what the failure message you got actually is...
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:08 pm

What is MM103/104??? ET == external tank? The big brown one?

I started with shuttle-orbit at NASA-base EDDF :D The curious orientation is because I tried to stop the drop in v-speed. I must have been somewhere around Australia, where I had to turn the shuttle around, in order te accelerate. The nose was pointing backwards at this time.

The failure message was blinking red. I don't know about the text - didn't understand it, but it said sth about 19:45:xx. That was shortly before the APUs exploded due to overheat at about 400K... The shuttle systems are quite complex, or the other way around: I wouldn't last a second, if I were to control the shuttle. :roll:

Thats the full resolution of the displays, sorry, that's the best I could do:

...also, it's quite possible, I mixed up some of the screenshots, and that's actually over the pacific (half of first orbit), before the 180° maneuver... I wouldn't bet on this!
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:35 pm

The display reader ASCENT TRAJ 2 and the number in the upper left identifies the major mode (MM) of the software as 103 (ignore the trailing 1).

That's used for the second stage of powered flight, but should actually be replaced by OMS 1 MNVR EXEC once in orbit. The error message seems to be R (right) OMS TK (tank) P (pressure) which means that your OMS tank is near-empty. Which is strange becaus ethe OMS/MPS display still shows tank pressure in green.

The APU actually likes to be cooled - so there ought to be spray boilers running... and you're supposed to switch all off once on-orbit.

Just what did you do to my poor Atlantis????
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:41 pm

If it says OMS tank pressure, why does it also show a time?

Thorsten wrote in Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:35 pm:Just what did you do to my poor Atlantis????

My contribution to orbiting space garbage... :twisted: (which reminds me of the movie "Gravity" - great one!)

Seriously, I guess the shuttle would explode 10 minutes after I took the pilots chair... It's more complex that a fractal fragment. Good thing it's just zeroes and ones!
didn't you say some time ago, that it's best to learn the shuttle pilots handbook, which is several thousand pages thick? If I had this kind of time, I'd build a shuttle for real! :)

Actually I checked all the sprayers and stuff at the lower part of the APU dialog, when this message came on-screen, it also said to switch on the sprayers. Still I lost the APUs...
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:20 am

didn't you say some time ago, that it's best to learn the shuttle pilots handbook, which is several thousand pages thick?

You do know that the wiki has a handful of tutorials, right? If you ever need to deal with a failing fuel cell, I'd highly recommend to take a look into the Ops Manual, but on its own the sim won't break things, and if you just want to fly it's a bit easier.

You still need to go through the checklists though, they're there for a reason. Bad things will happen if you don't. APU blowing is one, loss of control due to wrong CoG on entry is another one, fried avionics due to no radiator loop deployed is yet another one.
Thorsten

Postby PavlinS » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 am

From ENSB to YBBT - live!
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby PavlinS » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:36 am

And my new movie:
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby fmg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:48 am

Leaving Gustavia
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby 747sp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Welcome to Omsk. Don't try to leave.
747sp

Callsign: OMS120

Postby chris_blues » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Is that a 707??? She's got some big engines!
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby chris_blues » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:20 am:You still need to go through the checklists though, they're there for a reason. Bad things will happen if you don't. APU blowing is one, loss of control due to wrong CoG on entry is another one, fried avionics due to no radiator loop deployed is yet another one.

Like I said; she's quite complicated... :)
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby 747sp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:58 pm

chris_blues wrote in Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:49 pm:Is that a 707??? She's got some big engines!

Its a 707-700.
747sp

Callsign: OMS120

PreviousNext

Return to Media