Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 3

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 3

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

There I was, testing the new Hawaii vegetation and texture scheme flying through the West Maui Mountains in somewhat sketchy weather - and then, just after crossing a ridge, I saw this:

Look way into the background, there's the summit of Haleakala reaching up through the cloud layer.

This was a very cool sight...
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Is it FG or real flight ?
Unbelievable realistic. Perfect job !!!
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby GinGin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 pm

You know what, it remind me island arrival in Jurassic Park ahah

Stunning Screen, or astonishing, not sure of the best word :)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Wecsje » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Some screens of a flight I did a few days ago, Frankfurt (EDDF) to Amsterdam Schiphol (EHAM) on the VATSIM networks, in the IDG A320neo PW.
Twitch Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/wecsjelive
Contact methods: Discord (Wecsje#6351), FlightSims United discord (https://discord.me/flightsimsunited), Steam (Wecsje)
Track me on VATSIM: https://vatstats.net/pilots/1397313
Wecsje

Callsign: WS208J
Version: Newest

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am

Perfectly demonstrates the new static dischargers and wing hooks. Thanks to Ger272 for them!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby StuartC » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Practicing some moves with the Work In Progress BO 105 Upgrade project.

StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Something really enjoyable with a helicopter - the crater of Mt. Wai'ale'ale and the Weeping Wall on Kauai. The summit of the ancient volcano is one of the wettest spots on Earth, averaging more than 11.000 mm of rainfall annually. This gives rise to a host of waterfalls down into the old (by now on one side eroded) crater.

Approach along the canyon leading towards the Weeping Wall:

And rising up in the crater, looking down into what's called 'Blue Hole':

Pic from another day, giving an idea of the incredible topology we're flying through...

Thorsten

Postby Octal450 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Looks Superb.... which chopper that?

Kind Regards,
Josh
What I do: Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas Displays, Autoflight, FlyByWire, Cockpit Animations
Aircraft I currently develop: MD-11 (Mainly), Secret, A320-family (Quality over Quantity)

My GitHub|MD-11 and ITAF Dev Discord|Airbus Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411/Octal
Version: next

Postby disguisedelk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Greetings. I've recently rediscovered flight sims, having spent my time in FSX and its addons before. These days I haven't got as much time and I really don't want to pay out of my nose for the odd flying session so FG fits my need quite well :) I was pleased to see the Twin Otter was modelled to a pretty good degree so I decided to take it for a spin round the south of France, namely from a small airfield near Saint Etienne across the Alps and the Med to Bastia on the island of Corsica. I should add that I usually fly with the date set to the current local time and live weather so if the winds turn out to be super bad or the runway at my destination is fogged in or something and I haven't got an ILS equipped plane I might have to divert, but looking at the METAR for Bastia there should be no risk. Only a few scattered clouds and temps around 20 C, the only problem is that with the estimated flying time of 2:20 hours I'll arrive only just before local sunset so I had better get a move on :D

A map of the flight plan and the arrival chart for Bastia RWY16 is below. Cruise altitude will be 15000 ft due to the mountains rising up fairly high. Minimum Safe Altitude is 13800... Top of Descent will be roughtly 60nm out, where the 110 radial from Nice crosses my path, at a leisurely 500 fpm so as not to pop my virtual ears :D and it'll get me down an comfortable settled at 5000ft for the Initial Approach Fix at CASCO. Not much later I'll turn towards the Elba VOR, also on its 110 radial, since that should get me just around the northern tip of the island and into the vicinity of the ALISO waypoint. Then a right turn onto the 193 radial towards the Bastia VOR. If I hold an airspeed of around 107 kt and descend at 600 fpm that should get me down pretty much on the descent path. Then that fun looking dogleg turn onto final and plop it down on the 16.

Image Image

So yeah, already on the runway and set to lift off. Due to winds I'm facing towards the west so I'll climb out on the runway heading and make a left turn around the city towards the first waypoint, the VOR at Vienne.

and into the turn

After the turn towards the coast, that's Grenoble down there

The weather is fine up here!

Terrain rising up to its highest point, the Massif des Écrins

The coast over the Albenga VOR

Already in the descent along the Corsica coastline

Lower still. Getting dark out there :lol:

About to turn onto final. That's a SHORT final lol.

But I manage to take her down alright

And there we are, just in time for sunset

A nice scenic flight, apologies if this got a bit long but I really enjoyed it :)
disguisedelk

Postby Necolatis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Thorsten I was sure at first glance that could not be Flightgear. Those pics must be the best FG shots I have seen. :)
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2019.1.2

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Looks Superb.... which chopper that?

Heiko's EC-135 (my favourite...)

Thorsten I was sure at first glance that could not be Flightgear. Those pics must be the best FG shots I have seen.

They probably are, because they leverage a top-end GPU for both high vegetation density and the brand-new geometry shader overlays - as well as pretty much all the other good stuff we have - all targeted with regional definitions for a relatively small area. It's (nearly) as good as the rendering code can make it.

(Yeah, I have the idea of making Hawaii a showcase region... still have some ideas to improve quality yet a bit more... but check out Kauai, the terrain topology is stunning)
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Very nice look out of the Beauty Island :)
Nice approach also, try to do this VOR A with a broken layer close to minima ( lets say a broken 1000), off set gonna be interesting :)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby disguisedelk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 pm

GinGin wrote in Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm:Nice approach also, try to do this VOR A with a broken layer close to minima ( lets say a broken 1000), off set gonna be interesting :)

Yeah I'll give it another try in worse weather soon.
I had a quick look around looking for a place to go from here. I quite like Bolzano up in northern Italy, the visual looks... interesting :D
Across the VOR, right turn, back over the VOR, left turn into the valley.

disguisedelk

Postby V12 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:06 am

Here https://fgtracker.ml/modules/fgtracker/ ... ID=6941598 is my flight log EGLL-LIPB with Concorde. I started descent from FL530 to to FL100 130 miles before Innsbruck (LOWI), then continued VFR through the valley to the Bolzano.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby StuartC » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 am

Out on patrol

[img}http://www.fguk.eu/media/kunena/attachments/667/fgfs-screen-012_2017-09-21.png[/img]

StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

PreviousNext

Return to Media