Board index FlightGear Media

FG Promotional Video

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

FG Promotional Video

Postby Foxtrot15 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:52 am

Hi all,

After seeing that the promotional video request started by MIG has died due to the lack of computers, people and time, I have decided to help bring back the project.

I am sure that many of you have benefitted from the free FlightGear. This promotional video aims to showcase FlightGear's capabilities, and serve as a tribute to all who helped in its development. Hopefully we can release it near the release of FlightGear 3.6.

During the creation process, expect to have a few collaboration flights and lots of fun. Also, expect to experience frustration, failure and bugs. Most importantly, expect to see the successful release of the video, and to relish in the knowledge that it could not have been done without you.

I will act as the producer and director for the video, but I will always listen to and consider suggestions. The video will be released on my channel, but will also be released on anyone’s channel as long as they took part in the production. Lastly, it should be released on FlightGear’s official channel.

The video would be of a trailer quality (see some of X-plane's promo vids to get an idea), feature a narrator and music and have a span of around 5 minutes or more. The resolution and framerate will be decided later on to accommodate everyone.

Before we start production, I would like to allocate roles to certain people. However, I need to know who will be available and what are their abilities. I hope you can reply to the post in the format below (I'll answer as me):
Timezone: GMT +8
Aircraft: Everything, but slightly rusty on choppers
Computer: Mac
Framerate: ~20
Add-ons: None
Abilities: Fly, shoot footage, edit, find music, edit audio, suggest ideas
Additional ways I can contribute: (fill in special abilities such as voice-overs, ATC, support)
Commitment: Committed to see it all the way to the end (may put: no time but will suggest changes, only available this month, etc.)
Additional comments:

Thanks and look forward to working with you together.
Last edited by Foxtrot15 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foxtrot15

Callsign: Ice-99
Version: 2016.1.0

Re: FG Promotional Video

Postby Lydiot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:08 am

Foxtrot15 wrote in Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:52 am:DO NOT POST ANYTHING YET UNLESS IT IS NOT AN OPTION IN THE POLL.

"I can fly some airplanes." (me)

"I can edit video" (not me)

"I can work on audio" (i.e. not music - me)

Foxtrot15 wrote in Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:52 am:he resolution and framerate will be decided later on to accommodate everyone.

I know you said no other comments, but I bet you're going to have a problem with that. I discussed that in the other thread already. I highly recommend you read through the points already raised before committing to things.
Lydiot

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:48 am

Whoa there!
It seems like X-plane uses a lot of FGcamera-like movement. Anyone reading this using FGcamera proficiently?
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:51 am

Narrator? 5 minutes or more?
Are you still making a trailer vid or a casual interview-like video?
There are free alternatives to every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next [PPA]

Postby Foxtrot15 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:19 pm

I am just being ambitious. If someone is able, why not? and it is not strictly a trailer as you have a lot to showcase.

And yes, we do need someone who can use FgCamera...
Foxtrot15

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:24 pm

By the way, 3.6 will never be released, and 3.8 is expected this January.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Foxtrot15 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Alright, then coincide with 3.8 then. More time... But when will the release candidate for 3.7 and 3.8 be out?
Foxtrot15

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Ah, 3.7 is already out; it is the daily (or nightly, in fact) development build. 3.8's release candidate will come out December 17th or so.
legoboyvdlp

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:31 pm

One note--if you want to make the recording a little easier, try making others do the flying, save as fgtape, then send it to you so that you can just record while the plane is flying.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Foxtrot15 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 pm

Can anyone suggest a schedule for the storyboard, music, shooting, final editing, music, audio and release?
Foxtrot15

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:30 pm

You're the leader :)
But, here goes.
Storyboard: upcoming week
Shooting: until January 30th
Editing: until February 10th
Music and Audio: until February 15th
Release: February 17th, coinciding hopefully with 3.8.

All shooters should use FlightGear 3.8.
legoboyvdlp

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:49 pm

No such thing.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:05 am

Foxtrot15 wrote in Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 pm:Can anyone suggest a schedule for the storyboard, music, shooting, final editing, music, audio and release?

With all due respect, you might need to look up the terms "producer" and "director". :wink:
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:09 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:30 pm:You're the leader :)
But, here goes.
Storyboard: upcoming week
Shooting: until January 30th
Editing: until February 10th
Music and Audio: until February 15th
Release: February 17th, coinciding hopefully with 3.8.

All shooters should use FlightGear 3.8.

Depending on the level of ambition I'd say you'd need more time for storyboard and editing.

For music the decision has to be made whether it should be "score" or just a "track(s)". If it's the former then 5 days won't suffice (after 'locking' picture). Additionally any narration should be recorded after the picture is locked. So that leaves 5 days for that and mix. Audio editing and mixing is fast, but I think the schedule is a hair optimistic to be honest. If anything, with proper storyboarding the shooting could possibly be quicker.

I'd also say that unless 3.8 offers something visual over 3.7 the most stable release between the two is probably best. No reason to shoot stuff using 3.8 if it causes problems. But perhaps that's obvious.
Lydiot

Postby Foxtrot15 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:23 am

I will come up with the storyboard by this week. I will write it here and you guys can suggest adjustments. Storyboard shall be finalised by next Wednesday. (btw i intent to do it as a text and video draft, not an actual storyboard which is too much a waste of time).

I am thinking we should get royalty-free music and shoot to the score, unless there is someone on FG willing to score for the video.

Shooting the bigger collaboration scenes will occur before Christmas, afterwards will be small collaboration flights as well as sending the pre-flown flight recorder tapes to people with strong computers to film. I'd say we set a deadline to end shooting by mid-Jan, afterwards will only be the small flights that are necessary and will be flown by me.

Editing and audio will be done asap after mid-Jan, and release a few days after 3.8.

Any better suggestions?
Foxtrot15

Next

Return to Media