Board index FlightGear Media

Iceland from space

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: Iceland from space

Postby Johan G » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 pm

I find this topic interesting in many ways.

@Thorsten: The screenshots clearly shows the advantages of the procedural texturing. Not too long ago a lot more than the glaciers would have had those repeating patterns. They are quite a show off of your other efforts as well. 8)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:22 pm

If you want to inhibit the b-52 you need to do this
- in the x15-1-set.xml file comment out the inclusion of the b52.nas script
- in the X-15.nas script comment the updateB52() line 59 and x15.initPattern (x15.Smith_ranch) line 70
- set the /x15/not-mated property to true (either runtime or in the set file)

Thanks.

Just to make sure - what's the license of your X-15 version? If I manage to rig a spaceplane for the PoSSUM simulation from it, do I have your permission to hand it out?

The screenshots clearly shows the advantages of the procedural texturing. Not too long ago a lot more than the glaciers would have had those repeating patterns. They are quite a show off of your other efforts as well.

I'm glad nobody else even noticed... shows that the de-tiling is rather good these days. You wouldn't believe how much effort it is to make some things not stick out (especially with lighting...) :-)

I think the glaciers could also be better, there's been a snag in my reasoning, the shader fades the third overlay layer at large distances, which I think it actually doesn't need to do and which doesn't save much on framerate either - so in the mid-term, I'll try to fix that.
Thorsten

Postby Flying toaster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:22 pm:Just to make sure - what's the license of your X-15 version? If I manage to rig a spaceplane for the PoSSUM simulation from it, do I have your permission to hand it out?

The license is GPL so feel free to hand it out. I generally minimise the distribution because I want to have something workable before giving away, but it really is meant to be distributed and modified at will in the long term
Flying toaster

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:27 pm

Just a quick status report - I managed to divorce the X-15 from the B-52 so that it will start everywhere, I added some sound (I need the audio feedback when thrusters are firing), I've tested the RCS and it works as advertized, so I guess we have a working spaceplane.

I'll make that version available soonish.
Thorsten

Postby punkepanda » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:13 am

How do you enable such a view.. When above 10.000 ft I see the ground as squared scenery tiles only.. How to load more scenery?
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Postby punkepanda » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:27 am

Ok Figured it out. Adjusting the property "/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare"
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Previous

Return to Media