Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 2

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 2

Postby gsagostinho » Sun May 10, 2015 10:10 pm

@Johan G Indeed there has been some amazing shots lately :)

Here are some images of the 727 flying over Italy. I just finished this Lufthansa livery, and this was its maiden flight :)

gsagostinho

Postby AndersG » Sun May 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Trying out the ALS projected fake shadow with the Nordstern:

(I still have issues getting the offset to work when on the ground and the shadow is often but not always clipped by windows when looking from the inside. From outside views when in the air it works fine.)
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 am

(I still have issues getting the offset to work when on the ground and the shadow is often but not always clipped by windows when looking from the inside.

How are the windows done (i.e. is this a depth-sorting issue)? And what are the issues on the ground - z-fighting?
Thorsten

Postby Madbyte » Mon May 11, 2015 6:36 am

St. Maarten Island. Cessna 172p Detailed (Branch for 3.4). Rembrandt.

Regards
Madbyte

Postby AndersG » Mon May 11, 2015 9:12 am

Thorsten wrote in Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 am:
How are the windows done (i.e. is this a depth-sorting issue)? And what are the issues on the ground - z-fighting?

The windows are transparent and double sided (or there are two separate sides, I don't remember) so that problem can certainly be a depth sorting issue. Though, I did try moving my view point outside the window once or twice and could not see the shadow reappear. Switching to an external view would show the shadow.

The other problem is that I don't seem to be able to displace the shadow from the model origin on the z-axis in a consistent way. The shadow object and the aircraft have the same origin so there should be no problem there but the shadow (even over flat ground) seem to change altitude with aircraft pitch and roll. This is odd since my portable patch of water (FlightGear-MTB_20m at my github place) which uses a similar displacement method was consistently at ground level despite the aircraft orientation (but the water is always directly below the aircraft).

There is also some view point or view direction related clipping that cuts part of the shadow at times (in an external view while rotating around the stationary aircraft). This could be some graphics card related GLSL issue - I have an old GeForce 9800GT.

The Nordstern shadow is not yet in FGAddon, but I have committed a very similar setup for ZLT-NT. It has the same issues.

[EDIT]Perhaps we should take this back to the shadow thread in the shader forum.[/EDIT]
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 am

[EDIT]Perhaps we should take this back to the shadow thread in the shader forum.[/EDIT]

Let's do that.
Thorsten

Postby gsagostinho » Mon May 11, 2015 11:32 am

@Madbyte Very nice shots!
gsagostinho

Postby agough » Mon May 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Madbyte, how come your TNCM isn't flooded? Is that a custom scenery? That new Cessna is looking lovely...

Edit:

"And that, children, is why we interpret VOR radials as neither True NOR Magnetic bearings..." (What you can't see is me pausing the sim for about 5 minutes at the correct distance from the VOR, franticly scanning the ground for a very small airstrip that wasn't there...)

Why can't we all just migrate to GPS and be done with it... :lol:
agough

Callsign: G-OUGH
Version: 3.7

Postby Madbyte » Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 am

Thanks for the comments.

agough wrote in Mon May 11, 2015 3:28 pm:Madbyte, how come your TNCM isn't flooded? Is that a custom scenery?

Just the default scenery. I don't remember when TNCM started to looks ok, but I think since 3.4, the flat island and the flood over the runway disappeared.
Madbyte

Postby agough » Tue May 12, 2015 9:35 am

Madbyte wrote in Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 am:Thanks for the comments.

agough wrote in Mon May 11, 2015 3:28 pm:Madbyte, how come your TNCM isn't flooded? Is that a custom scenery?

Just the default scenery. I don't remember when TNCM started to looks ok, but I think since 3.4, the flat island and the flood over the runway disappeared.

Are you sure? I have 3.4 too, with default default Terrasync scenery, and my TNCM is awfully flooded.
agough

Postby bugman » Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 am

Check out this bug report:

Feel free to add more detail to that bug report.
bugman

Version: next

Postby agough » Tue May 12, 2015 9:55 am

bugman wrote in Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 am:Check out this bug report:

Feel free to add more detail to that bug report.

I'll try that fix if I find any other airports with the issue, but for now, I've just found that...
https://github.com/legoboyvdlp/ProjectFlightGearScenery
...has fixed the problem quite nicely.
agough

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue May 12, 2015 2:04 pm

Yep, but it may be 3.5 is fixed. So if it is in 3.6, then it is redundant, and you use terrasync hopefully?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby psadro_gm » Tue May 12, 2015 3:04 pm

the flightgear version has absolutely no effect on the scenery in terrasync. The flooded airports are an issue with the generated scenery, and not fixable within simgear/flightgear.
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby Madbyte » Wed May 13, 2015 7:18 am

I know what happend:

I have terrasync enabled but I downloaded the area (w070n10) using the graphical web interface. This area was stored in a high priority folder for the scenery (terrasync data is stored in another low priority folder). I deleted the high priority folder from FGRun and now TNCM show the issues with the flood and a flat terrain. The same issues are shown using the tutorial for the c172p detailed, part of the runway is flooded.

Regards.

PS:
I have started a thread about this a year ago: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22855
Madbyte

PreviousNext

Return to Media