Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 2

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 2

Postby Michat » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi, Vladimir. I watched your last videotube.

Just to questions:
1. Have you tried with FG 3.4.0 or FG 3.4.1? These are the latest stable versions.
2. Waching you flight to the moon photo. Do you have AA activated in your GPU, if so, how much AA filter do you, or can you use with your GPU?

Thanks in advance.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby 747sp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:20 am

Departing Shannon
747sp

Callsign: OMS120

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:43 am

@Michat, of course I've tried :) they were still a bit heavy... So I just prefer 3.2. And I never use AA ;)

@747sp amazing pic!
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby StuartC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:20 pm

While fine tuning the next FDM update for the CH53 I did a little experiment.
This is a completely hands off flight. I increased the collective to get off the ground without touching anything else. Its moving under the influence of the wind.........

StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:06 pm

Then it is unrealistically easy then?
Note: did not watch; slooooooow internet.

By the way, I had a nice time landing an A330 at Caracas.
A video is comig tomorrow, after being suitably edited in Movie Maker. (Ah, yes, just cropping and transitions)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 pm

@Stuart: talk about a stable heli!
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby StuartC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:36 pm

no FCS in it, if there was it would be as stable as the real one. A slight wind would not be blowing it around like that.
StuartC

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:25 am

StuartC wrote in Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:20 pm:While fine tuning the next FDM update for the CH53 I did a little experiment.
This is a completely hands off flight. I increased the collective to get off the ground without touching anything else. Its moving under the influence of the wind.........

that's better than anything i've been able to do with my keyboard attempts at flying any heli... i'm limited to the keyboard for various reasons... yes, there's a mouse, too, but it is relegated to other tasks in the sim... trying to switch between the keyboard and the mouse is worse than driving at 100mph while mucking about with a (so called) smart-phone... i do hope to be getting a joystick RSN... my birthday is (extremely) close but i don't think i will get one yet :(
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 am

StuartC wrote in Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:36 pm:no FCS in it, if there was it would be as stable as the real one. A slight wind would not be blowing it around like that.

that sounds like it would be realistic if the real craft has a FCS and can be flown automatedly like seems to be suggested...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby StuartC » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Just about every modern Helicopter, Civil or Military has some form of electrohydrolic assistance. A number have the Autohover function, push a button and it sits where its put ( Basic FCS + Autopilot ). The Seaking was particularly good at that which is why it was always a popular choice for SAR Missions.
The R22/44 Are modern "Raw" helicopters. They have no helpers fitted to them.
But if you want FACS for the CH-53, yes it does have an advanced FSC:-
The CH-53E accommodates three crew. The helicopter is equipped with a Hamilton Sundstrand automatic flight control system (AFCS), with two digital flight control computers, a four-axis auto-pilot, an attitude and heading reference system (AHRS), a Rockwell Collins GPS 3A global positioning system and a Northrop Grumman (Teledyne Ryan) AN/APN-217 Doppler radar. The AHRS has been replaced with a new system from BAE Systems.
StuartC

Postby Warty » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Been running some executive sightseeing trips, now that the Mount Etna eruption has quietened down a bit.
Warty

Callsign: Warty
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Warty » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:36 pm

StuartC wrote in Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:00 pm:Just about every modern Helicopter, . . .

In addition to StuartC's comment, I would also like to point out that there is nothing new/revolutionary about this. I first worked on AFCS systems back in 1979 on the Lynx. There does seem to be an attitude, with some people, that making a helicopter easy to fly is somehow cheating. Yet I don't recall anyone from my aircraft-engineering days suggesting that our purpose in life was to make it more difficult for pilot's to fly the things.

One other aspect of RL flying, that I think is overlooked in FG, is that real pilots are not expected to figure things out on their own by trial and error. Someone who has done it before normally goes with them on the early flights. This QHI (Qualified Helicopter Instructor) would quite happily take over the controls to stop anything disastrous happening. Yaw-control and collective-control (power) are the two obvious examples where a QHI would only let a student take control gradually. So what's wrong with having a kind of AI-QHI for people who want to learn how to fly a helicopter? You can always kick him out/turn him off when you no longer need him.

Even a bit of yaw+collective damping can make an FG helicopter a lot easier to control, for example:

I believe the Bo105 also had AFCS (and it's from about the same era as the Lynx and also had a rigid rotor head). I think that the Bo105 is possibly one of the worst examples for a beginner because it requires about 45% back cyclic to lift off vertically /hover. This 45% is not too hard to maintain with a mouse, but it certainly is with a joystick. The EC145, for comparison, only needs about 5% forward stick during lift off/hover. Maybe the difference from StuartC's CH53 is the rigging of the main rotor head, i.e.: with no cyclic input, the lift is vertical. That's not cheating - just engineering.
Warty

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Wayne has been busy readying the Shuttle cockpit for nighttime illumination - so it looks much more compelling now.

Sunrise:

Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:23 pm

legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Warty » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:12 pm

LEGR/SU-37: Just had time for a last blast before the storm set in . .
Warty

PreviousNext

Return to Media