Board index FlightGear Media

Scotland Photo scenery overflight preview.

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Postby StuartC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:19 pm

Using the W.I.P Nex gen Tornado GR4. A Quick overflight of Scotland Photo scenery ( 4k resolution ) at 10000ft. 99% coverage achieved. Some tiles have no available Ortho's.
This flight takes you from EGOY - EGQL - EGQK.

StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Re: Scotland Photo scenery overflight preview.

Postby GinGin » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:45 am

Very nice video.
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby vnts » Sun May 23, 2021 2:24 pm

StuartC wrote in Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:11 pm:http://www.fguk.me/hangar/download/3-scenery/592-scotland-orthophotos-4k-terrain-textures

I missed the public orthophoto scenery release, until I found just now while looking at heli updates on FGUK website :mrgreen: .

If the scenery distribution doesn't have a restrictive license maybe the release could be published more widely and added to the newsletter? I added a bunch of externally hosted orthophoto video links to the newsletter a few months ago of unknown copyright (it would be useful to know which ones were from USGS or Sentinel data), which is a bit marginal. I don't think a lot of people potentially testing this on the mailinglist actually have a sample ortho photo set, so they can sign-off when it moves out of nightlies, check integration to WS3, and verify future bug reports/maintainence?. It's probably hard/marginal to announce it more publicly if the scenery doesn't have a license, so the forum will have to do - core devs just using this photoscenery with the ufo to have a look probably doesn't violate any no distribution copyright clause?, as it could be construed for research purposes, although testing FG for bugs using it is technically not research.

It's 1.6 GB compressed, and 4.5 GB uncompressed and already in dds. So people interested can check it out fairly easily, just download and add the scotland folder as a scenery folder.

-----

Having a look at this sample set:

It seems to work great :mrgreen:
I get an interruption at regular intervals as I move the camera(?). This might be just due to big batches of new orthophoto textures being loaded around the camera and transferred to video memory - so it might be a normal thing.

-----

The first results of this sample set:
EGPH, right at the airport looking towards the bridges:

Instantstreetview.com, showing location. You can also see different photo sources/surveys by the colour of the water around the bridges and bits of the shore:

Instantstreetview.com zoomed in, switches to google's high resolution aerial photo sources. These seem to be summer-ish season photos from air or drone sources:

FG WS2+ALS: The textures and instant streetview images are /really/ close in agriculture pattern, and detail level. Google also seemed to have the right season. These are just the UK localisation, without doing a scotland localisation, or a localisation for this part of scotland. IIRC submitted textures in 2014, and regional definitions tuning by Gilberto/Thorsten, and then further improvements to textures/definitions by Erik recently including texture/soil colour matching:

Photoscenery+ALS detail at same spot. Bright and clear day, the scenery textures appear a bit dark. The effect that is shown is the normal ALS procedural texturing detail on top of the photos instead of the base texture, rather than just a photo like other sims so it's more a basetexture layer swap than conventional photoscenery:

Album: https://imgur.com/a/c4RdAkR

In this area, the city and industrial textures for the uk are generic global ones I think, so they are slightly different from the uk/scotland local variation. The bare mountain landclass effect also seems slightly generic/plain. There aren't any overlays and such (the original regional definitions are slightly older, except for Erik's tweaks.

If someone didn't know the exact position, orientation, of fields and the exact patches/variations in other landclasses, the WS2 high res textures+mixing approach would be indistinguishable from the google instantstreetview when enabled. The photoscenery base textures would be low res for practical sources(?), - and also often wrong season/light without further manual tweaking.

This sample photoscenery set is very low res. There are I think higher photoscenery resolutions in some sources, but there hasn't been a comparison done to see what detail level is needed to match the current 2048x2048 textures (?) (and the GPU/VRAM needed to load better photoscenery at the same FPS as normal).

This example set is a bit dark in all the spots I've seen, maybe also due being captured in the wrong season. The ALS effect expects summer textures and vegetation that has had plenty of rainfall to grow during the past, but without water/moss on the ground - then it does the seasons, wetness, moss etc. on top. Photoscenery+ALS, from the video where the water indicates it's a brighter day:

Kind regards
vnts

Postby benih » Sun May 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Awesome
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby merspieler » Tue May 25, 2021 5:43 pm

FG WS2+ALS: The textures and instant streetview images are /really/ close in agriculture pattern, and detail level. Google also seemed to have the right season. These are just the UK localisation, without doing a scotland localisation, or a localisation for this part of scotland. IIRC submitted textures in 2014, and regional definitions tuning by Gilberto/Thorsten, and then further improvements to textures/definitions by Erik recently including texture/soil colour matching:

Which resolution has that ortho scenery?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 25, 2021 6:21 pm

That's not an orthophoto, that's FG regional scenery - and there's a message in that. :D
Thorsten

Postby vnts » Thu May 27, 2021 3:39 pm

The resolution of the WS2+ALS procedural scenery (regional scenery) base texture is about 1 meter per pixel - 2048x2048 texture in a 2000mx2000m square. The scale is set by xsize and ysize for each regional landclass definition. This scale is around what the high quality textures/effects use - lower res textures are stretched less in general. In the next 5 years or so, the procedural texture quality standard might go up to 4k or 8k or more - mid-range 10-series GPUs from as long ago as 2015 already had 4-6GB+ VRAM and are pretty fast, and GPUs will increase in speed compared to current gen in 5 years. It's also possible to just shrink the textures down on older hardware, even now, I guess.

The photoscenery was in 4k texture tiles - not sure over what area the photos are spread out, but it's far larger than the procedural texturing assumes for the base texture layer.

ALS/regional definitions expects the base texture to cover up-to around 1m detail, and then adds more detail on top through more textures+math. The issue is when photos are used as the base texture - the detail is very blurry even with higher res photos - and increasing the photo size a lot means bandwidth/disk space/VRAM requirements get huge as well as performance degradation.

The other thing I noticed was the photos were too dark in this example set - which made the scene look odd for that type of landscape - as the renderer expects the texture/photo to appear like on a well-lit day, before changing lighting conditions. The renderer also expects the season to be summer, and the ground to be dry - so it can change season/wetness/dust/moss.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby merspieler » Thu May 27, 2021 5:29 pm

With 16k ortho you can get as well roughly 1m/px..
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:36 pm

How does it come that the trees are lining up perfectly with the field borders ??? :?
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby stuart » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:56 pm

TheEagle wrote in Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:36 pm:How does it come that the trees are lining up perfectly with the field borders ??? :?

There's an object mask texture associated with the main texture, and the Green (for greenery :D ) channel is used to control the placement of random vegetation. You will see it in the materials definition.

It takes quite a bit of work to create a good object mask texture, but the results are great!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Joshua123 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:04 am

Nice, thanks for sharing!
Joshua123

Postby micro-flight » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:59 pm

So, where to get this scenery? FHUK scenery link is no more avaible
micro-flight

Callsign: FG-MCF
Version: 2020.3.17

Postby micro-flight » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:03 am

micro-flight

Callsign: FG-MCF
Version: 2020.3.17

Next

Return to Media