Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 5

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 5

Postby V12 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm

benih :
I have author's permission for free, non - commercial use of his freeware texture file.
Problem is other - freeware != GPL2. And all FG is GPL2 related.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 am

V12 wrote in Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm:I have author's permission for free, non - commercial use of his freeware texture file.

Well... yes, that is one way to look at it. However, you are not seriously expecting the FG to give up its licencing approach, are you?

So yet another way to look at it would be that you put a lot of effort to make a detailed and realistically behaving plane for the FG simulator - this means that somehow you care, despite your frequently voiced criticism. In fact my personal interpretation of what I read in this forum is that you criticise because you care a lot, although I see the point of others saying that criticism alone is not constructive.

So.. maybe reconsider? If there is an opinion that your Concorde should be the FG default because of its quality, this is a strong applause to your work. Maybe you can find a way to make it happen?

And.. what I wrote was not meant to be a criticism but an encouragement. Please see it that way. Also, since it is a bit offtopic, I'll not continue here. If you have some strong words to say to me, please use PM.

Finally, to make it at least slightly on topic:
Sunset in the Pyrenées - practicing for tomorrow ;)
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby erik » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:01 pm

It would at least be a good thing to know which parts are not GPL compatible. So maybe others could replace them with GPL compatible content.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby vnts » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:08 pm

The GPL compatible bits can always be added separately. If it improves an aircraft, more people are likely to search for missing bits and find github version, or replace the missing bits with GPL compatible work.
Plenty of models have parts that don't have a texture yet. The Concorde in FGAddon probably lacks a texture for the same part, or maybe is missing that part altogether - but if previous authors never added it to FGAddon, or shared their improvements - you might not have found it, or not been motivated to fly it enough to improve it? Generally it's fine to add improvements even if an aircraft is not complete in every aspect, and just have lower ratings for different cockpit/exterior/systems/FDM.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby S&J » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:22 pm

If an author wants to give you something but just requests that you or others don't sell it.

Why not simply respect the authors wishes ?
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby vnts » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:27 pm

V12 wrote in Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm:I have author's permission for free, non - commercial use of his freeware texture file.

[..]
S&J wrote in Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:22 pm:If an author wants to give you something but just requests that you or others don't sell it.
Why not simply respect the authors wishes ?

V12 is not suggesting anyone allow the textures to be in a form that's put up for sale anywhere - he has clearly said his version with textures is not GPL compatible - and can't be legally sold, and hasn't put the textures into FGAddon or anything. V12 isn't suggesting that the 'problem' be resolved by treating the textures as if under a different license, and neither is anyone else if I read the thread correctly?

(Technically, distributing the GPL Concorde merged with works under a NC license is a violation of the wishes of authors of the stream of contributions that results in the GPL concorde - but that's not what's being discussed either.)

Kind regards
vnts

Postby erik » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:38 pm

S&J wrote in Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:22 pm:If an author wants to give you something but just requests that you or others don't sell it.

If that where the case then he'd put the whole aircraft under a non-commercial CC license I would guess.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby V12 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm

The plane is perfectly downloadable from GIT as is, please respect that is not under GPL2.
Problematic texture :
cockpit.png - "diamond" shaped part of the texture
c_baked.png - "diamond" shaped part of the texture too
refmap.png - very old texture that I use 30 years for "chrome" reflection effect, author unknown

You are cleared to fork the model, replace that texture parts with GPL2 compatible one and push modifed version to FGADDON. For better reality I very recommend to remove the captain tablet, I used it in WCA tour as navigation aid.

Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby S&J » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:37 pm

I didn't make myself clear.

There seems to be only a small number of contributers to FG and of these clearly not 100% are anti- CC licence. So it seems these few people are obscuring the downloading of free planes for the majority that just wish to fly.

Anyone thinking this is good for flightgear should take a long hard look at themselves.
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby Octal450 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:33 am

KSJC-KLAX
Flying VORs in my MD-82. :mrgreen:
And I forgot to reset the altimeter. Damnit lol.

Good fun.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby The epic chicken » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:30 pm

Flying a PA-28
Imageflying a piper warrior by The epic chicken, on Flickr
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby benih » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:47 pm

This eveneing: A nice flight from Verona to Lido near venice, in a C182s accompaniing another c182 fellow (I-KMTP) I found on the map by accident :)
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby Fly-Flot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 pm

It is not a nice picture (LIPV airport) but it tells about the good flight with Benih, it was a pleasure to meet you.
Fly-Flot

Postby benih » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:41 pm

Yes, it was nice!
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby Delta5142 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Return of the flying pencil
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142