Board index FlightGear Media

"What are these?": a thread

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

"What are these?": a thread

Postby lomar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:30 am

So, i had an idea for a thread where you post a screenshot of something weird you find on Flightgear, either on an aircraft or a scenery, so another person can explain to you what that thing is. What do you think?

so, let me start:

i found these things that look like tiny runways painted on the appron in an airport that i'm developing, and i do not now what their purpose is. They are in the Afonsos AFB in Rio de Janeiro, but not in the active air force base appron, but in the aerospace museum appron

this one in at the Galeão intl. airport. it is not exclusive to it, but i found some airport approns that have blue lines in the taxiway centerlines instead of the traditional yellow. SBGL also has a red on near this. why?

hope you like my idea. i look forward to hear the answers and see other questions.
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Re: "What are these?": a thread

Postby Isaak » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:24 am

Hi lomar,

Blue and orange taxilines (not the default yellow ones) are often used to indicate taxiways that are only suitable for narrow body aircraft with a small wingspan. Most of the time a max wingspan of 36 meters is used as a limit, this limit is always depicted on the airport charts. The screenshot below shows this on a chart: the limited taxiways are shown with fat dotted lines (see the legend on the top right), the regular taxilines are normal (yellow) lines (max wingspan 64m = suitable for all aircraft except A380, Antonov225 etc.). Sometimes a yellow taxiline will have an orange and a blue taxi line adjacent to it (e.g. twy Y between L3 and Y5): the taxiway can then be used by either heavy aircraft in one direction on the yellow taxiline or by bidirectional or parallel narrow body aircraft over the blue and orange lines, increasing the capacity of the taxiway.

The image below shows that aircraft with a wingspan >36m and <= 64m can only park at terminal 2 and 3, as they don't have a suitable taxi route to terminal 1.

Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:45 am

That for sure must be a RC model airplane airfield:
lomar wrote in Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:30 am:Image
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby The epic chicken » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 pm

real life tower
Imagefgfs-20210616135716 by The epic chicken, on Flickr
tower in FG
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby The epic chicken » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:07 pm

why
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby danielHL » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:28 pm

Because OSM. Circle with a height usually results in a cylinder... Which is what you get here.

danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Return to Media