Board index FlightGear Development

Logging Magnetometer Inputs

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Logging Magnetometer Inputs

Postby munirnadir » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:15 pm

I want to log Magnetometer inputs (magx, magy, magz i.e magnetometer reading for each axis along with mxo, my0,mzo i.e magnetic field component) but cannot find them in internal properties. Can anyone help me to find?
munirnadir

Re: Logging Magnetometer Inputs

Postby MAKG » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:39 pm

I don't think such a thing is supported.

I've been through the magnetic model code (WMM2005) thoroughly, and the underlying core does calculate all three components of the field as a function of time. But the bridge into FG seems to only use the magnetic declination.

I think you'd need to write your own WMM calculator (it's not too difficult) to feed results into a new property, and then access that property as part of your magnetometer model.
MAKG

Postby kaklik » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Hello,

is there some up-to-date solution for environment magnetic field computation integrated into FlightGear, or is it henceforward needed to compute magnetic field components outside of FlightGear?
kaklik

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:25 pm

this is a 10 year old topic that doesn't appear to have gone anywhere... personally speaking, i've never heard of anything magnetic related in FG other than what is used for the compass headings and their magnetic offsets...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Development