Board index FlightGear Development

Virtual Reality Helicopter Rescue Training Project by Milita

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Virtual Reality Helicopter Rescue Training Project by Milita

Postby assistel » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:59 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Roberto Caetano and I am a Sergeant in the Military Police of Minas Gerais, Brazil. I am currently working on an exciting project that utilizes virtual reality technology to simulate helicopter rescue operations.

Our project focuses on a rescue scenario where a rescuer performs a rappel descent from the helicopter to reach the victim and safely retrieve them from the site. The goal is to provide our officers with a realistic training environment that helps them prepare for real-life situations.

One of the inspirations behind our project is the incredible video on YouTube that showcases a helicopter rescue mission in action. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend watching it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesFVz9tTlE.

By using VR technology, we hope to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our rescue missions while ensuring the safety of both our officers and the victims. We believe that this project will be an essential tool in our ongoing efforts to serve and protect the people of Minas Gerais.

I would also like to mention that our project is based on the FlightGear simulator, a powerful open-source tool that allows us to create realistic and detailed virtual environments for training purposes.

Furthermore, we are actively seeking feedback and suggestions from the community to improve our project. We believe that collaboration is the key to success, and we would love to hear your thoughts on how we can enhance our simulations and make them even more effective.

If you have any ideas, tips, or recommendations, please feel free to reach out to us. We appreciate any input that can help us create a better training experience for our officers and ultimately improve the safety and well-being of our community.

Thank you again for your interest in our project, and we look forward to hearing from you.
assistel

Re: Virtual Reality Helicopter Rescue Training Project by Mi

Postby wlbragg » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:09 pm

Welcome assistel,
'
Not knowing what type of programming your using with Flightgear or how exactly it is being used. I want to bring to your attention an "addon" that might be of use to your project.

See CargoTowingAddon

It gives you the ability to simulate a winch controlled rope attached to any point on any helicopter in FlightGear. I think it would be fairly easy to customize for your purposes.

It is limited in physical responses to environmental influences, but I think that could be incorporated by someone with time and proper motivation.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby erik » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:39 am

I always like it when I read FlightGear is being used to save lives.
Thanks for sharing this.

If there is anything you have developed and want to share (or keep safe for future use) then don't hesitate to call out so we can add it to FGAddon or git.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby merspieler » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:48 am

erik wrote in Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:39 am:I always like it when I read FlightGear is being used to save lives.

assistel wrote in Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:59 pm:Military

... sounds to me to be the very opposite of saving lives!

assistel wrote in Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:59 pm:I am currently working on an exciting project that utilizes virtual reality technolog

Do you use the work James Hogan has done for VR or something else? In either case, I think it would be great if you two would collaborate to get this VR stuff working well in flightgear.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby S&J » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:17 pm

I don't quite understand if this is for pilot/crew training or troops ?

If crew, what helicopter ?
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby erik » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:21 pm

merspieler wrote in Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:48 am:

Sorry, no.
Over here SAR is done by the air-force.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby assistel » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:24 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:09 pm:Welcome assistel,
'
Not knowing what type of programming your using with Flightgear or how exactly it is being used. I want to bring to your attention an "addon" that might be of use to your project.

See CargoTowingAddon

It gives you the ability to simulate a winch controlled rope attached to any point on any helicopter in FlightGear. I think it would be fairly easy to customize for your purposes.

It is limited in physical responses to environmental influences, but I think that could be incorporated by someone with time and proper motivation.

I'm actually still in the research phase. I'm looking for tips. Also thanks for the mention.
assistel

Postby assistel » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:25 pm

erik wrote in Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:39 am:I always like it when I read FlightGear is being used to save lives.
Thanks for sharing this.

If there is anything you have developed and want to share (or keep safe for future use) then don't hesitate to call out so we can add it to FGAddon or git.

Erik

thanks! I hope to contribute to the community as much as possible
assistel

Postby assistel » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:28 pm

assistel wrote in Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:59 pm:I am currently working on an exciting project that utilizes virtual reality technolog

Do you use the work James Hogan has done for VR or something else? In either case, I think it would be great if you two would collaborate to get this VR stuff working well in flightgear.

That's right, thanks for the answer to the friend above. I intend to use his VR implementation as much as possible and change something according to my needs.
assistel

Postby assistel » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:30 pm

S&J wrote in Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:17 pm:I don't quite understand if this is for pilot/crew training or troops ?

If crew, what helicopter ?

I am not the pilot, but an operational crew member, who performs the rescue. the helicopter we operate is the as350 b2 and b3 squirrel.
assistel

Postby assistel » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:32 pm

Does anyone have a video or text tutorial on how to start programming the flightgear to point me out?
assistel

Postby merspieler » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:13 pm

Best resource on many things is the wiki
If you want to get in touch with James Hogan, you can find him on matrix

If you've got questions about the core of flightgear (C++ programming, parts of rendering, apart from James' VR work) then the mailing list is the best place to ask.
For scripting stuff on aircraft, missions etc. it's best to ask here on the forum.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby vanosten » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:07 pm

One of the questions to answer is, whether you want to implement something for single-player or for multi-player.

I have done a military simulation for multi-player, which could quite easily be extended to rescue stuff. It is described in https://hunter-all.ey.r.appspot.com/docs/index.html. It might be more difficult to do stuff for multi-player, but it can be done.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby lomar » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:49 am

Hey, buddy. Allow me to explain
It's not military as in the army or such. It is also not military police like in the US (in Brazil it is called Army/Navy/Air force police). The Brazilian constitution defines state's public security forces (police and firefighters) as "auxiliary military forces". They have military ranks and careers, but a civil service duty. So i think our friend here wants to simulate SAR in a civilian sense, like in accidents or natural disasters, and not in military situations (i.e. retrieving injured soldiers in a warzone/battlefield). He is from Minas Gerais, a state that had many distresses in this sense in the last few years, for instance two mining dams colapsed in the cities of Mariana and Brumadinho in 2015 and 2019, leaving many people injured, trapped, missing, or dead. Also last year a rock fell from a canyon over a tourist boat in the city of Capitolio leaving 10 dead and many injured. It's a very big state famous for mining activity, historical cities and natural tourism, so i'm sure a better SAR training platform would help saving many lives in the future!
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Return to Development