Board index FlightGear Development

Translations (I18n)

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Translations (I18n)

Postby zakalawe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 am

Hey folks,

The 2020.3 release has had many small UI changes due to feedback and crash reports, so I'd like to request help ensuring all the translations are up to date again: French, Polish and Russian are already done. If you're an existing translator you can jump in as usual translating the XLF files on the branch: I know some people don't have time to follow the mailing list so might have missed my request there. There's some languages where the translation is a group effort: in particular the German translation, I believe.

As ever, if you need help with the translation infrastructure, check the docs and then just ask. We can also add new languages: if you'd like to propose a new language just get in touch and we can discuss how. (There are some languages which aren't possible in 2020.3 due to font/UI limitations, unfortunately)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Re: Translations (I18n)

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:26 pm

I think everything needs to be documented on the wiki instead of endless forum threads and email lists. Just an opinion
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Michat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:47 pm

@zakalawe

We did translations to several languages at request of user slawekmikula at https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38536

Need for more? If so can you provide a link to XLF files on the branch ?

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby slawekmikula » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:57 pm

That translations were only for installer. Zakalawe mentions core translations. They are located in fgdata repository. One for PUI and command line options and one for QT launcher. You have to use e.g. QT linguist to translate it.

Please note that you have to translate files in release branch AFAIK release/2020.3
slawekmikula

Postby zakalawe » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:00 am

As Slawek noted, his request was about the installer, this is for 'everything else'.

slawekmikula wrote in Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:57 pm:You have to use e.g. QT linguist to translate it.

Actually you can just use Notepad++ or any text/XML editor. It's just more convenient to use a real XLF editor: I think Gnome has one as well, and some others, if you don't like Qt Linguist. The full documentation is of course on the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Help:Translate : my apologies for not providing the link originally, I figured that was already clear :)
zakalawe

Postby zakalawe » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:03 am

Here's the XLF files on the branch: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/ci/release/2020.3/~/tree/Translations/

You need to add the translated string, and set approved="yes" (otherwise the translation won't appear). Note that for the FlightGear-Qt strings, you unfortunately can't see the results immediately (we're missing some code to make that work), you need to deliver the files to me (or commit them), and they will appear in the stable release when a new version is created (eg, 2020.3.7)
zakalawe

Postby Michat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:26 pm

Thanks for the direct link, it makes easier for me, i'll edit it with my default gnu editor and I will provide you a link to the file with spanish translation, which I'm reading now and it's partialy translated.

I'll ask for help in this thread if needed.

Michat

Postby Michat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:42 am

Double checker needed

Need a checker for the file Translations / en_US / FlightGear-Qt.xlf https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/ci/release/2020.3/~/tree/Translations/en_US/FlightGear-Qt.xlf

Possible duplicated paragraph cascading to the ES Qt.xlf and maybe to other languages

Lines 10 and 12
Michat

Postby zakalawe » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:17 pm

For the Spanish translation, be aware Pablo Barrio might also be making changes to it: I don't know if he reads this forum or not, unfortunately.
zakalawe

Postby Michat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Good to know that Pablo might also be making changes to it.

Zakalawe, please, can you check Translations / en_US / FlightGear-Qt.xlf ? As I reported above there is a possible duplicated paragraph cascading to the ES Qt.xlf and maybe to other languages.

Lines 10 and 12.

If you confirm that the paragraph is already duplicaded by mistake, then some other Qt.xlf as the ES does might containt such duplicated line. In that case we should check other languages too.

Michat

Postby zakalawe » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:35 pm

As far as I can see, it's an 'alternate translation', probably because the source text was modified. (Hence the 'alt-trans' XML tag). So long as there is a translation for the primary message, or the alt-trans, I think it's okay (you don't need to translate both)
zakalawe

Postby Michat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Thank you, now is clear for me.

I'll continue translating the rest of the document.
Michat

Postby Michat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:19 pm

@ zakalawe I have a doubt.

<trans-unit id="_msg118" translate="no" approved="yes">
<source xml:space="preserve">Added scenery should contain at least one of the following folders: Objects, Terrain, Buildings, Roads, Pylons, NavData.</source>
<target xml:space="preserve">El escenario agregado debe contener al menos una de las siguientes carpetas: Objetos, Terreno, Edificios, Carreteras, Pilones, Datos de navegación.</target>
</trans-unit>

Can you tell me if in the text above, the tag translate="no" is valid or instead of must say "yes" or just it could been removed from the code line ?

Last edited by Michat on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Postby slawekmikula » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:09 am

Michat, is it any chance that you can use XLIFF editor ?

It would make translation for you much easier and possibly error free (manually editing xlf files can easily IMO introduce errors). One "default" XLIFF editor for Qt is QtLinguist (I'm using it) but you can search for any XLIFF editor (e.g. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=xlf+editor) and I think any will be sufficient.

Regarding this translate=no". When I look at the translated xlf file for Polish lanuguage I do not see this kind of attribute. I think it is removed when the translation is finished (using QtLinguist) and display that this trans-unit is translatable or not. As for more formal response. See: https://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff ... -v2.1.html.
slawekmikula

Postby Michat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:48 pm

Thanks for your answer slawekmikula, unfortunately there is no change for me to install any program on this computer. I'll have to deal with plain text editor.

I have an Imac that was so slow and gnarly that after 10 min sucking I decided to install Gnu on a new partition. Resulting mac w keyboard is not detected, can't decided what OS to boot, then Grub took control of my GNU. I don't have sudo privileges, can't install programs and I'm using gnome virtual keyboard to translate carefully the file, answering posts aswell.

The dust inside screen, the high radiation monitor burning my retina, two pentium=celeron inside power, the amazing low speed os with somewhere in California park name and the no-keys keyboard, was an amazing 10 min experience.
My fail was not to kill makos with the harpoon since the begining, now it has control over me.
Michat

Next

Return to Development