Board index FlightGear Development

Virtual FSWeekend 14/15 November

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: Virtual FSWeekend 14/15 November

Postby vanosten » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:49 pm

stuart wrote in Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:42 am:@CaptB - I would positively encourage you to take part :). The aim of the weekend is for people to learn new things, so in many ways you're the ideal participant - someone with some general programming experience who could use this as an opportunity to get their hands dirty in the internals of FG. If you would like to, please drop me a PM with your contact details.

Actually I am in quite desperate need for a 2D/3D person for osm2city (http://wiki.flightgear.org/Hackathon_Pr ... s_osm2city) during the weekend. @CaptB
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby guenter » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi stuart,

I also like to take part on this event. I know C/C++ especially on Windows, I did some development on linux, I know git on a basic understanding and I'm interested in how a "game" like fg is implemented.

I'm coming from the commercial side, i.e. programming order and billing systems. Okay, I also has some experience in VoIP on VxWorks, but VxWorks was hidden by a framework.
"Had" is better, because VoIP is already a long time ago (~15 years).

Yes, I see, the "Event is Coming", so i will try to get an working environment on Windows or Linux till friday evening: i will see.

I'm looking forward to this event and I hope I can contribute to this fascinating project.

-Guenter
guenter

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:16 pm

guenter wrote in Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:33 pm:… and I'm interested in how a "game" like fg is implemented.

Sim! FG is a simulator, not a game (like MSFS).

Do you still playing, or do you already flying?
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:11 pm

still, while FlightGear isn't being developed with a gaming focus, it can certainly be used as such - so I wouldn't worry too much about terminology at this point, certainly not with that sort of professional background ;-)

Let's keep in mind that this event is intended to be educational and fun, so there's really nothing wrong with treating FlightGear as a "game" - and in fact, a false sense of elitism could alienate potential contributors
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi Guenter,

It will be great to have you take part!

Please PM with your email address and i'll send you the details.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby guenter » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:40 pm

WoodSTokk wrote in Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:16 pm:
guenter wrote in Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:33 pm:… and I'm interested in how a "game" like fg is implemented.

Sim! FG is a simulator, not a game (like MSFS).

Do you still playing, or do you already flying?

Perfect. This makes it more interesting.

I'm still playing and currently I'm also in training to get a LAPL(A) on a Scheibe Falke SF25C. I just have 16 hours of instructions and slowly I get used to this aircraft.
If I really will finish the course? I don't know. Real flying is quite different. And its more difficult as I've expected. But the flightsims can help to train some procedures, coordinations and so on.

By the way:
Currently I'm using X-Plane 11 to get my left hand used to control the stick. I also have FSX, P3D V3-V5, MSFS. But, don't worry I don't use them really. I guess I'm like a woman, but instead of buying shoes I'm collecting flightsims. A few weeks ago I bought VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV. I think they are quite close to the real rudder in the SF25. Rudder and aileron coordination, a weak point of mine, but it's becoming better. Slooowwwwlllyyy. I guess you already have a flying license. Can you slip? OH.MY.GOODNESS. I don't know if I ever will learn this.
guenter

Postby WoodSTokk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:36 am

LoooL, no, i dont have a pilot licence. I'm only an entusiast and i like small airplains and steam gauges.
I think thats the matter why i'm falling in love at the Citation II. Now i'm working on it since 3 years and there is no end in sign.
Sometimes i think about a pilot licence, but it is too expensive for me. Maybe some day in the future.
But there are some real pilots inside the comunity and thats great, because there experience help to improve the aircrafts and the simulator.
Last edited by Johan G on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire preceding post.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby stuart » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:56 am

@guenter: FG is useful for learning systems/procedures, but IMO not a replacement for real flying, particularly gliders/motorgliders.

@WoodSTokk: There are cheaper ways of flying than GA: parapente, ultralight etc. I would recommend at least investigating these options,

@All There is still time to register for the Hackathon. Details are http://wiki.flightgear.org/Virtual_FSwe ... athon_2020
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby www2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:03 pm

is there a way to watching the opening and closing of the virtual FSweekend?
www2

Postby merspieler » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:07 pm

so far only by participating.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Previous

Return to Development