Board index FlightGear Development

SkyVector/GPX FlightPlan Converter for FlightGear

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

SkyVector/GPX FlightPlan Converter for FlightGear

Postby TribalBob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:51 pm

There was interest among the FlightGear users at my VA for a script to convert GPX format FlightPlans (like those on SkyVector) into FlightPlan files that FlightGear can use, so I created one.

This is only tested with GPX files downloaded from SkyVector so others may or may not work correctly.

Here is the script, it's a batch script so it's completely open-source and should work on all Windows versions, feel free to have a look at the code inside any text editor.

https://mega.nz/#!DvgHFYLL!OyFPYAkV58_r ... 3zs6hn8RFQ

Enjoy!
TribalBob

Re: SkyVector/GPX FlightPlan Converter for FlightGear

Postby Necolatis » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 am

Since Flightgear can natively read GPX files, what would be the use of this?
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby TribalBob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Hmmm, seems you are correct.

Someone in my VA said the plans he exported from SkyVector weren't working with FG and anothermember said they would work if you removed the departure airport so i wrote a script to do that and tested it and it worked. i never tested the downloaded file as my VA member said they didn't work.

I guess if a mod wants to delete this thread, please feel free.
TribalBob

Postby pavlin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 pm

No need. You just have to do the flight plan, export it in gpx from skyvector. com and after just put it in your AppData/ Roaming/ flightgear.org / Export folder. Add it in your route manager, delete the DEP and ARR airports, add them in the boxes on the route manager, set up RWY CRZ alt and activate. The .gpx files can be used freely in FG without need to convert them.
If you have issues write to me pm and I'll give you link to tutorials, that might help you.
During severe issues with navigation on FlightGear I will not create any type of content until I buy myself new pc. That might be in years from now.
pavlin
Retired

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2018 3.1

Postby V12 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Pavlin is right, You don't need any conversion. I'm using skyvector this way more than year.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Return to Development