Board index FlightGear Development

Airports

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Airports

Postby Flight876 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:05 am

Alright, here's the scenario, this has so far happened to me 3 times. when I tried loading into Kuala Lumpur international airport, I ended up spawning in the water, then I tried spawning into Auckland airport, same thing I spawned in the water, and then today I tried spawning into Adelaide airport, I spawned in the water and then Brisbane airport, Again I spawned in the water. Are four airports currently under construction or something? Or is this a glitch? Cause I really do want to fly to these locations. ( Pretty much all of the New Zealand airport spawn locations end up having you spawn in the water) Are these airports being developed as we speak?
Flight876

Re: Airports

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:14 am

First things first: Are you sure you have even downloaded that piece of scenery?
If you are using TerraSync, remember it's not powered by magic. Open 'File/Scenery Download' then click 'Log'. Wait until the text stops changing, turn TerraSync off, then press OK. You now ought to see your airport.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Flight876 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:04 am

Parnikkapore wrote in Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:14 am:First things first: Are you sure you have even downloaded that piece of scenery?
If you are using TerraSync, remember it's not powered by magic. Open 'File/Scenery Download' then click 'Log'. Wait until the text stops changing, turn TerraSync off, then press OK. You now ought to see your airport.

I haven't downloaded the scenery. And no I'm not using TerraSync
Flight876

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 am

Then that's why, and this is expected.

FlightGear didn't include the whole world in that 1.4GB package - only the demo area. However, the rest of the scenery is available via TerraSync or manual download. The whole world fits on 3 DVDs not including recent improvements!

Keep in mind that whatever you download via TerraSync is our official scenery.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Parnikkapore wrote in Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 am:FlightGear didn't include the whole world in that 1.4GB package - only the demo area.

FWIW: if they did include the whole world, the download would have been some 85G or so... maybe not that much due to compression but, yeah, the download would have been much much larger...

turn on terrasync and let the sim download the terrain ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Flight876 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:53 am

Where abouts can I download terrasync ? Can you give me a link or something? Or does Flightgear include this?
Last edited by Johan G on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire post; it is just above
Flight876

Postby Flight876 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:04 am

Ok, I downloaded the scenery for the location itself, now what?
Last edited by Johan G on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: No need to quote the entire post; it is just above
Flight876

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:10 am

Flight876 wrote in Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:53 am:
wkitty42 wrote in Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:43 pm:turn on terrasync and let the sim download the terrain ;)

Where abouts can I download terrasync ? Can you give me a link or something? Or does Flightgear include this?

terrasync is included... it is simply a switch to turn it on... if you use the new built-in launcher, it is on the settings tab... "Enable automatic scenery download (TerraSync)" is the second checkbox down on the left... you can also do as Parnikkapore wrote

Parnikkapore wrote:Open 'File/Scenery Download' then click 'Log'. Wait until the text stops changing, turn TerraSync off, then press OK. You now ought to see your airport.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Flight876 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:54 am

Alright I go it working, thanks guys. I've now been encountering an error, basically an old enemy has returned, after installing everything, I tried loading up an airport, and got the" Splite error unable to create a read only database" How do I fix this?
Flight876

Postby elgaton » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Assuming you are running Windows:
  • press Win+R, the Run box will open; type %APPDATA%\flightgear.org and click OK;
  • an Explorer window will open;
  • delete the fgfs.pid file and restart FlightGear.
(Note that this bug has been resolved and won't be in the next release).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Return to Development