Board index FlightGear Development

Scenery / AI Traffic / launching at gate

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Scenery / AI Traffic / launching at gate

Postby Lydiot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:27 pm

This is just a thought I would like to bring up for those who develop either scenery, AI traffic, and/or the launch software;

Several times at several airports we get the option of launching at a gate or parking position. However, there are times where either the scenery developer or the AI developer have created planes at those locations, and so we start/launch/spawn on top of a plane.

Perhaps there is a way for you guys to communicate between you so that this can be avoided. Maybe create a set of "reserved" spawn-locations that are available in the launcher that AI traffic and scenery developers must stay clear of?

Just a thought.
Lydiot

Re: Scenery / AI Traffic / launching at gate

Postby zakalawe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 pm

This system already exists - the aircraft designer defines parking positions, the AI or other systems request and reserve them. The user's airplane is assigned one the same way, if a parking startup is requested. However, sometimes the process seems to fail with the result you mention. But it's not a coordination problem, 'just' a debugging one.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Lydiot » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Ah, ok. It seems to happen very frequently for me, so..... thanks for the info :-)
Lydiot

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:28 pm

i ran into one that was really bad... KATL, i think... might have been KRDU... the problem was other craft but boxes and crates stacked all over the place... AFAIK those don't fall into the parking algorithm...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pommesschranke » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:22 pm

zakalawe wrote in Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 pm:This system already exists - the aircraft designer ...

aircraft designer or airport designer?

so, in theory : when I choose to start at Gate A11 then the AI system will not spawn an AI aircraft there ?

for static aircraft I don't see an easy solution other than adding an option to not show them like we currently have for random trees, osm buildings, ...
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby pommesschranke » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:28 pm:i ran into one that was really bad... KATL, i think... might have been KRDU... the problem was other craft but boxes and crates stacked all over the place... AFAIK those don't fall into the parking algorithm...

KATL has only buildings (if you don't use project3000)
KRDU is really full of shared models & static aircraft. I guess the airport designer did forget that human pilots like to use the gates, too.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:42 pm

thanks, pommesschranke... i knew it was one of them as they are the two i've flown mostly in the last months... i haven't updated my local repos and built a new fgfs in about a week so i haven't flown much of anywhere, either... i'm hoping to do some more testing and flying soon once RL stuff gets out of the way ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Development