Board index FlightGear Development

Sending data from FGMS to several FG instances

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Sending data from FGMS to several FG instances

Postby Swiber » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Hello,

I have a flightgear instance in Windows which is sending position data to a flighgear server running in Ubuntu. The data seems to be received correctly, as when showing the stats of the server it can be seen that several position packets have been received. What I would like to do now is to tell the server to send these packets to several flightgear instances that are already running (each one run by one separate computer). Is it possible to maybe change the configuration file of the server or something similar in order to write the IP addresses to which the data has to be sent?
Swiber

Re: Sending data from FGMS to several FG instances

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:59 pm

actually, note that UDP is "connection less" - but you still need to set up the client (i.e. fgfs) to "receive" the corresponding packets.
In other words, you will need to do /some/ configuration anyway. Apart from that, the wiki (and the forum) contain instructions on doing similar things - my recommendation would be search the archives (including the devel list) for keywords like "broadcast + multiplayer" and "multicast + multiplayer".

IIRC, AndersG and others posted working configurations a (long) while ago.

That being said, I am not sure if the use-case makes that much sense, because once you can afford setting up things properly, everything will "just work", while multicast/broadcast stuff hasn't explicitly been designed into the MP system as far as I remember

Either, please do feel invited to document your findings using the wiki, so that others can get more easily started doing similar things.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Development