Board index FlightGear Development

Calling Flightgear Inside Another Flightgear

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Calling Flightgear Inside Another Flightgear

Postby abigail11 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:36 am

HI,
Currently Iam running Flighgear code and i want to merge another flightgear exe in the running Flightgear code whether Flightgear supports this
abigail11

Re: Calling Flightgear Inside Another Flightgear

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:53 am

Please explain the meaning of 'merge' in this context (or better yet, what you aim to do).
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:23 pm

I think (*guess*) he is referring to binary patching, which is/was a relatively common thing on Windows based OS - and no, it's not easily supported, unless you are enormously familiar with the process and fgfs internals - for instance, poweroftwo did originally offer binary overlays in the form of a patch set that could be applied on top of a conventional fgfs installation, to provide osgEarth support.
While this sort of thing is definitely possible, it requires a fair degree of work - and given that you are asking the question, and given the terminology you're using (not), you may have a really steep learning curve if you were to try this on your own.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby abigail11 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:58 am

merge means combining
abigail11

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:02 am

I know that the word means that, but I still have no idea what you want to do (nor do I think anyone else knows)
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:42 pm

honestly, you could simply read, and maybe even respond to, my posting - it's almost certainly addressing exactly what you want, as in back-porting features from one feature to another, the whole term of "merging" is misleading though - because binary patching will rarely give you what you want, so that you literally need to patch/rebuild FlightGear source code, at which point you will inevitably need to be familiar with git, C++ and a number of other things - most of which are unlikely to be in your domain/comfort zone (currently), given the terminology you are using.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Development