Board index FlightGear Development

crash reports...

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: crash reports...

Postby Bomber » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:09 pm

How's about having a pull down within every launcher that allows you to select another launcher on next FG start up....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:20 pm

that would be similar to how you can select different window managers on Linux - but the thing is, you would need to 1) install all launchers, and 2) provide a launcher for launchers :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Bomber » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:32 pm

If the launchers not there then the selection would be greyed out..

And you wouldn't need a launcher to launch the launchers just create a convention where launcher designers provide the pull down to select other launchers...

Yes it means they look at others, but in the end making the selection of launchers easier is better for FG in that we all see what's out there an can make an informed choice...And eventually the best bits of each will come together to make the perfect launcher..
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:01 pm

I am not convinced, but that does not matter at all (just see the flame war in which I am currently getting ripped apart), so feel free to file a feature request, maybe someone cares enough ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby swampthing » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Sorry I'm not a developer and don't know all of the lingo. Could this be what drives away Flightgear users?
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby swampthing » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:47 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:01 pm:I am not convinced, but that does not matter at all (just see the flame war in which I am currently getting ripped apart), so feel free to file a feature request, maybe someone cares enough ...

My suggestion is pick one GUI launcher (point and click) or whatever you want to call it, allowing the user to choose the planes and add options for screen resolution and other often changed features. If you want more users, make it more user friendly, its that simple. FGrun did this but now we are back to adding command line arguments to change certain features. I'm fine with that but most new users will not be. We also have the Android generation who have been completely dumbed down in my opinion. Maybe they don't matter..... I do like where the developers are going though. The ability to install planes right there will be nice. I'm fine with using SVN but most will not. I know it takes a lot of time and effort but it seems like we are so close to having a polished gem it would be silly not to meet the demands of what people want just because some are hard core command line.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Postby Hooray » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:02 pm

The Qt5 launcher that is being worked on by Zakalawe is going to provide all that, and most people will likely not be affected by it being an optional build time dependency. Sooner or later (as in 3-5 release cycles), it will probably become "required" anyway, in the sense that more and more useful/mandatory functionality will only be available to Qt5-enabled builds

http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mai ... /34532040/
Zakalawe wrote:This can be summarised as, if you want a GUI in your FGFS build, you need to use a GUI library, and that library is likely going to be Qt. (Again this is my opinion but I don’t think it’s controversial). If you don’t want a GUI you disable support at compile time or run-time and don’t pay any cost for loading / drawing a GUI.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Will QT5 come with FlightGear, if so?
That is, for people installing from binaries on Windows -- what do we do? Do we just download and install as normal, or do we need to get QT5 seperately, or what.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby bugman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:15 pm

The QtLauncher, when ready, will just be built in. You won't have to do anything, as everything will be in the FlightGear executable file (for Windows and Mac users at least).

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:03 pm

That's excellent.
Well, as long as I only have to install FlightGear, I'm happy :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby swampthing » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:57 am

Is there anything I can do from command line to stop these freezes that happen when I try to restart Flightgear? I checked my processes and can't find flightgear running in the background so I'm confused as to why this happens. FYI in my previous comment I should have said new users. I am seeing an exodus from Windows. I personally didn't know Flightgear existed until I switched to Linux years ago. I wonder how many other people will browse games in the package manager and want to give it a try. I just would hate for people to be turned away I guess is my point. Generally a lot of Windows users know nothing but point and click. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't offending anyone. i know this has been a lot of hard work on free time.
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:10 pm

what exactly do you mean by restart ? i.e. what are you doing ? Is it a reset/re-init, is it repositioning, is it changing aircraft or are you actually terminating/restarting the fgfs process ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Bomber » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:43 pm

swampthing wrote in Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:56 am:I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this. I had mentioned this in another thread regarding 3.6 and 3.7, both versions crash after exiting Flightgear and trying to reload the gui launcher. The system usually freezes everything except the cursor sometime it even freezes the cursor. I have to manually power the system down and reboot. Logging out and logging back in before trying to relaunch does not work either, the system still freezes upon trying to relaunch. I thought I had this fixed by deleting FG HOME but that is always short lived. I ma running 3.7 right now and just updated but the problem still persist. My system is a HP dc5700 Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 gig of ram with the factory on-board Intel graphics chipset. I had no problems with version 3.4 but I'm not wanting to give up on the newer version just yet. Please let me know where I need to send this.

Thanks
Bomber

Postby swampthing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:28 am

Bomber wrote in Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:43 pm:
swampthing wrote in Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:56 am:I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this. I had mentioned this in another thread regarding 3.6 and 3.7, both versions crash after exiting Flightgear and trying to reload the gui launcher. The system usually freezes everything except the cursor sometime it even freezes the cursor. I have to manually power the system down and reboot. Logging out and logging back in before trying to relaunch does not work either, the system still freezes upon trying to relaunch. I thought I had this fixed by deleting FG HOME but that is always short lived. I ma running 3.7 right now and just updated but the problem still persist. My system is a HP dc5700 Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 gig of ram with the factory on-board Intel graphics chipset. I had no problems with version 3.4 but I'm not wanting to give up on the newer version just yet. Please let me know where I need to send this.

Thanks

Bomber I'm not sure what My question has to do with the post you linked.
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Postby swampthing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:31 am

Hooray wrote in Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:10 pm:what exactly do you mean by restart ? i.e. what are you doing ? Is it a reset/re-init, is it repositioning, is it changing aircraft or are you actually terminating/restarting the fgfs process ?

Terminating fgfs. I have to terminate to change planes and when I do this I can't relaunch without my system freezing.
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

PreviousNext

Return to Development