Board index FlightGear Development

Aircraft content and the way forward

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Aircraft content and the way forward

Postby Bomber » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:16 pm

Aircraft released under the GPL2+ may be hosted on the fgaddon repository, for which their author will receive commit rights. All contributions to fgaddon repository must be compatible with the GPL, and should include an AUTHORS file listing the copyright holders of the aircraft and a COPYING files containing the GNU General Public Licence V2.0 license text (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt). Such aircraft are considered projects in their own right, but may receive updates from the core committers for bug fixes and compatibility with core changes. Aircraft authors must review all merge requests to their aircraft, provide feedback, and work with other contributors. If an author is no longer available, the aircraft may be maintained, adopted and improved by other contributors. The core committers will adjudicate on any disagreement and reserve the right to revoke commit rights.

So who of the aircraft content developers thinks that this the way forward for Flightgears future?

I'm not looking for a flamefest, I'd just like honest open debate from aircraft content developers on this subject on this forum.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Re: Aircraft content and the way forward

Postby ludomotico » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:00 pm

This is not the future of Flighgear, but the future of the Fgaddon repository. After the catalog feature introduced in v3.6, Flightgear is quite independent of Fgaddon. Users can decide to use other catalogs as the main source for their aircraft: private hangars such as Omega's, FGUK or Lake of Constance, or other free repositories such as Fgmembers, which provides more frequent updates than Fgaddon.

That being said, the policy to accept and maintain an aircraft in Fgaddon seems very sensible to me.
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:03 pm

hey Simon

Can you be more specific of the point or points that should be thematic of an honest debate on your qoute?

Aircraft authors must review all merge requests to their aircraft, provide feedback, and work with other contributors.

Particularly I don't understand what do they mean by "merge requests" on a SVN repository, but in any case, SVN is foreign to me. [or to rephrase the question, think on the fact that in SVN there is 1 repo solely, and thus, where do you request a pull from!?].

The core committers will adjudicate on any disagreement and reserve the right to revoke commit rights.

O_o.... Power :D

Can I put my name in the ballot to run for Core Commiter...?

Best,
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby bugman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:32 am

For some context, this is a discussion about the soon to be published official FlightGear policy document. Also see the forum post FlightGear Policy and Roadmap Documents.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby elgaton » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:06 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:03 pm:Particularly I don't understand what do they mean by "merge requests" on a SVN repository, but in any case, SVN is foreign to me. [or to rephrase the question, think on the fact that in SVN there is 1 repo solely, and thus, where do you request a pull from!?].

For simple changes, a way is creating a patch and sending it to the -devel mailing list.

Another solution might be:
  • "forking" the SVN repository (copying the trunk to a new, private SVN repository);
  • committing changes to the private repository;
  • asking a maintainer to reintegrate (merge) the changes into trunk.
(Note: reuse of the private repository after reintegration is allowed only in SVN 1.8 and later).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Return to Development