Board index FlightGear Development

Problem with MP orientation values

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Problem with MP orientation values

Postby mickybadia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:20 am

Hello,

I am having trouble getting stable orientations when reading self-generated MP packets in a FlightGear instance. I am starting it with:
Code: Select all
fgfs --multiplay=in,100,,port1 --multiplay=out,100,localhost,port2

and sending my own packets to localhost:port1 for every plane I want to see drawn.

An example of what I get is uploaded here. Due to screencast sampling effects and video encoding what you see is flickering faster than what I get, but the idea you get is right. That is, planes are being flipped nose up and down most of the time, but still showing the correct orientation regularly for a few frames.

I do not think it is something wrong with the math/quaternion stuff since I have checked that values are at least fixed for a standing plane, and filling the OriX/OriX/OriZ fields in the packets with constant values results in the same flicker. I have tried with different intervals in packet sending, all resulting in the same thing.

Has anyone had similar problems? What should I try to do?
Thanks for any help.
mickybadia

Re: Problem with MP orientation values

Postby mickybadia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:03 pm

OK I got this working thanks to i4dnf's inspection of my packets. My timestamps were wrong: seconds needed not milliseconds. The interpolation algorithm was messed up by faulty clock comparisons.

So we have a free solo ATC sim software with tower view to be released very soon. :-D
Cheers (for real!)
mickybadia

Re: Problem with MP orientation values

Postby mickybadia » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:25 am

Urgh, well actually the Southern hemisphere still has bad orientations... So more work is needed on the math, but nothing to do with the initial problem reported here, which is well solved.
mickybadia

Return to Development