Board index FlightGear Development

New F-15 (C,D)

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: New F-15 (C,D)

Postby Richard » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 pm

I've just released V1.2e; see http://www.zaretto.com/f-15

V1.2e Changes
    Much better textures/liveries; added Lakenheath and Missouri.
    Better wing root anti-collision lights
    Added Correct stall warning audio tones and vocal warnings for OWS, Caution and fuel.
    Canvas optimisations for low frame rates
    Fix weapon selection after load when master arm selected.
    Improved view positioning for front & backseat.
    Rework of lighting, fix halos, rembrandt light points; added lighting dialog to GUI.
    Reinstate comm radio support
Handling / flight model changes
    Overload Warning System (OWS) limits added
    Pitch/Roll ratio improvements.
    Tuned pitch and roll ratio - and now takes into account CG% MAC.
    Corrected lateral position of external wing tanks.
    Added Nose Wheel Steering. operates in two modes; normal and the maneuvering mode
Last edited by Richard on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby MIG29pilot » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Looks great; I tried it out. High-ish resolution phototexturing + cockpit shadows makes for some really amazing cockpits. One thing though, and that is: How does one go about getting into a flat spin? (Not the sort of thing one would want to do in real life, I suppose, but could be some fun leaving corkscrew trails in the sky in the sim!)
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby bugman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Just a quick test using FGAddon at V1.2e, I can see a few paths which need fixing:

Code: Select all
-bash-4.3$ fgfs --aircraft=f15d
Enabling ATI viewport hack
Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization. Using built-in SVN support. Directory: '/flightgear/home/.fgfs/TerraSync'.
default catalog not found, installing 'org.flightgear.default' from 'http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.7.0/default-catalog.xml'.
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for gear/gear-dmd-norm
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for /consumables/fuel/tank[5]/selected
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for /consumables/fuel/tank[6]/selected
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for propulsion/engine[0]/augmentation-alight
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for propulsion/engine[0]/augmentation-alight
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for propulsion/engine[1]/augmentation-alight
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for propulsion/engine[1]/augmentation-alight
Failed to tie property fcs/elevator-control to object methods
Failed to tie property fcs/aileron-control to object methods
Failed to tie property fcs/left-aileron-normalization to object methods
Failed to tie property fcs/aileron-control to object methods
Failed to tie property fcs/steer-pos-deg to object methods
osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "C:/Users/Richard/dev/flightgear/aircraft/F-15/Models/common.png"

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "common.png"

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "C:/Users/Richard/dev/flightgear/aircraft/F-15/Models/common.png"

[snip]

These are:

-bash-4.3$ grep -rI "C:"
Models/Cockpit/f15-interior-back.ac:texture "C:/Users/Richard/dev/flightgear/aircraft/F-15/Models/common.png"
Models/Cockpit/f15-interior-back.ac:texture "C:/Users/Richard/dev/flightgear/aircraft/F-15/Models/common.png"
Models/Cockpit/f15c-interior-front.ac:texture "C:/Users/Richard/dev/flightgear/aircraft/F-15/Models/common.png"
Models/Cockpit/f15c-interior-front.ac:texture "C:/Users/Richard/dev/flightgear/aircraft/F-15/Models/common.png"
-bash-4.3$

Cheers,

Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby jarl.arntzen » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:09 am

MIG29pilot wrote in Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 pm:One thing though, and that is: How does one go about getting into a flat spin?

Yes. I keep wondering about the same thing ever since I saw some screens a while ago. Tried stalling it adding maximum rudder but it just kept sinking fast at an amazingly stable attitude.
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:44 am

The default configuration and setup of the aircraft is designed like this by McDonnell Douglas. There isn't anything specific in my aerodynamics to enable spinning, i.e. I didn't add things to 'make it spin'....

There are many ways to fly into a departure inadvertently however it is all dependent on the configuration, a little bit of misconfiguration helps and a very high AoA (>20 degrees) before trying to make it depart.

With a full load of missiles and fuel it's much harder to get into a spin, and generally the mass distribution of the stores will help to prevent spining.

So configure as per the screenshot. Pull back on the stick and keep it there until it starts to spin.

Important items;

CG % MAC: around 0.04
Gross Weight: around 42,000
Left engine out.

A slightly more realistic example is to set the CG to around 0.11, again with the left engine out, and try to maintain altitude by pulling back, and at around 110kits start to increase power. Then try to keep the aircraft level using just the stick and increasing power to maintain altitude; i.e. make a pilot error of adding thrust without realizing that an engine is out and then make it worse by adding more thrust and keeping the stick pulled back.

Most of the time the pilot is trying to avoid getting into a spin, and when it does happen it's usually because they're trying just a bit to hard to do something else. Trying to recover an approach and land, trying to turn to hard or climb to fast....

also don't forget that the MPCD will give you advice about how to recover. It's not always correct, and the throttles bit doesn't show anything yet, but it is generally better than nothing, and throttles at idle is generally a good idea for recovery anyway.

Last edited by Richard on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:08 am

bugman wrote in Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:46 pm:Just a quick test using FGAddon at V1.2e, I can see a few paths which need fixing:

-bash-4.3$ grep -rI "C:"
-bash-4.3$

Now fixed in FGADDON (trunk). Thanks for the report.
Richard

Postby MIG29pilot » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:02 pm

By the way: Brilliant screenshot at the top of the page. You ought to enter it into the next screenshot of the month competition.
MIG29pilot

Postby clrCoda » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Why does someone necessarily have to enter a screenshot that you happen to like. Just grab it, attribute it to the author, and enter what you like to be a part of the competition yourself. You'll get more "participation" that way.

--Best to you
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby MIG29pilot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 pm

So I can. Silly me forgetting, that was my own rule.
MIG29pilot

Postby Johan G » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:26 am

clrCoda wrote in Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 pm:Just grab it, attribute it to the author, and enter what you like to be a part of the competition yourself. You'll get more "participation" that way.

Umm... :roll: Might be a bad habit in the long run. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby japreja » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:58 am

The F-15 is General Chuck Yeagers favorite aircraft :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS9aQLQDSmU I think the best part of this video is at 2:05 :P

I just got to 82,800ft at I think it was 80 knots, starting from sea level (KTTS) :? and I think I went super sonic sometime during the flight but wasn't paying to much attention to the speed. fgtape
japreja

Postby japreja » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Pushed it much higher like the following real footage of satellite killing. I tried to match the same angle which looks to be about 75 degrees.

and in FlightGear :) at peek of the ascent

and coming back down.

It is difficult to maneuver at this altitude and you just have to let the F-15 go where it wants to go while pointing the nose downward until you can get some control back at about 100,000 to 80,000 ft. Getting there was fun. Thanks for the work on this craft Richard, Hope you like the screenshots. I'll try to render a video of the replay of this flight to the edge of space but it will be quite large, ~30min and about 500mb unless I do some post processing.
japreja

Postby MIG29pilot » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:19 pm

What was that happening?
MIG29pilot

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Hope you like the screenshots.

Even if your system can't give you a usable framerate, you might want to consider using ALS to take screenshots at high altitude. The default renderer isn't made for the job, and you get a wrong impression of Earth' curvature for instance. I have (among other things) used U2 cockpit footage to get decent visuals at altitudes between airliner service ceiling and orbit.
Thorsten

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:07 am

japreja wrote in Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:04 pm:Pushed it much higher like the following real footage of satellite killing. I tried to match the same angle which looks to be about 75 degrees.
It is difficult to maneuver at this altitude ...

Thanks and nice shots

You need to get up there with enough forwards velocity (at least 200kts) to maintain controllability; of course this isn't easy as the engine power drops off dramatically over 50,000 feet and you have no effective thrust at around 79,000 (I'm still not sure if this is accurate or not).

If you've got less than 120 kts it will be much harder to control. I generally get up to max speed at FL350 with augmentation before climbing on full ab. It also might be more appropriate to roll inverted and pull back to get back to horizontal as the -ve alpha handling of most fast jets isn't as good as the positive (and we're lucky that we don't have to deal with the physiological effects of either, but generally -ve is a lot more uncomfortable).
Richard

PreviousNext

Return to Development