Board index FlightGear Development

Current projects and milestones

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Current projects and milestones

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi all!
Could all developers please drop a notice here of all of their current projects, and milestones they've reached in those projects? This way I can enter them into the newsletter.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 3.7nightly

Re: Current projects and milestones

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:45 pm

pretty sure you won't get all developers.
Many never read this forum.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Hmmm...
Do they often go to "Active Topics" pager?
MIG29pilot

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

I assume people that never come to this forum don't read the active topics in this forum. Even if I knew what active topics "pager" was. People not reading this forum are certainly not paged by it.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that less people read this forum than use multiplayer, out of the 100's of thousands of people that have downloaded and install flightgear at one time or another.

Those of us that do read it regularly, count in the 10's of people. Those of us that read everything, even less.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:10 pm

:cry:

They sure are missing out!
MIG29pilot

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:14 pm

I wouldn't say that. I'd say that most users that need to know something never post a question or make a statement or help anyone, they just search for what they need and if they can't find a workable solution, well, some have personal contacts, and belong to other forums...

But for the most part, most people in flightgear never participate in the forum, multiplayer, vatsim, the mailing lists, ...

They just get the new release and typically it works right out of the box for the people with the most experience.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby japreja » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:19 pm

@MIG29pilot

If you haven't done so already, you might want to subscribe to the mailing lists. As you get mails from the lists you may want to also setup email filters to move them to a folder other than your inbox because it will fill up your inbox quick. Also with the mailing lists, sometimes users posts to the list go into your spam/junk mail folder. If you are already subscribed just send an email to the list requesting the devs to note their current projects, you will most likely get a good response.

Here is an 747-123-SCA (shuttle carrier aircraft) I just uploaded to sf.net for git download. I think it's been around for a while but I added the tail cone and OMS Pods from the SpaceShuttle project. It should be considered development but it is functional in version 3.4 and 3.5 :D I hope to clean up the project a bit since alot of files are not needed and just make the download huge. Currently as is it's 49 megabytes :shock: After that I will try to work more on the cockpit, interior, and naming its files more appropriately.
japreja

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:27 pm

Nice one Jorge
Is the shuttle carrier GPLed?
Is it derived from this one?
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/shuttle-carrier
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby japreja » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:44 pm

@IAHM-COL
I am not sure, it may be derived from that one... I tried to track down the origional source from comments in all the files and it took me to 2 different derivitives. If it is that would make it 3. see this post since I got it through that. I try to find all the authors and send them a link if I can.

It is a modified 747-200. I'll grab that source you posted and check it, but it will take a while to go through all the files. It's taken me almost a month to do the research so far.
japreja

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Source files inside look very very much alike
It seems that it is derived from that one.
As an example the file help.xml still a verbatim copy. :D

Let me know
BTW... is it GPL?

IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Hooray » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:29 pm

regarding the newsletter, it is usually a good idea to review all threads created during the last 3-4 weeks in the "development" sub forum, and then send a prepared text to invite people to also update the newsletter accordingly, e.g. by adding a few paragraphs or uploading screen shots to the wiki - that is basically what I used to do occasionally, and it did work pretty work, even though you should be prepared to walk people through registering on and using the wiki
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Development