Board index FlightGear Development

Moving planes on Multiplayer

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Moving planes on Multiplayer

Postby mftetsudou38125 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:26 pm

So, there's something that drives me nuts. It's when I'm doing ATC and people just start on the runways, not listening to commands and disturbing the ATC session.

What about making it so that when a player enters Multiplayer and is on runway he gets moved to somewhere else? This would reduce stress of so many ATCs.
mftetsudou38125

Callsign: BAW128
Version: 3.2

Re: Moving planes on Multiplayer

Postby clrCoda » Wed May 20, 2015 1:54 pm

I brought this up once. The question asked of me was, paraphrasing: "where you gonna put him?"
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:45 pm

something else to think about is that they may not know they are on multiplayer and don't have fgcom or speakers, headphones, mic, etc stuffs on or set up... they may even be a young child on dad's computer "playing that flying game"...

then there's the question of which airport are you trying to ATC? i saw someone trying to ATC KSFO the other night... as that's the default airport, it is going to be nasty with folks popping in and out all the time...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby mftetsudou38125 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:08 pm

Yep, I was ATCing KSFO some time ago and everybody was starting on the runway. It's a shame we can't use it well because it's one of the most developed airports.
mftetsudou38125

Callsign: BAW128
Version: 3.2

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm

One problem is that - if I understand it correctly - at some airports FG won't properly allow for spawning at a terminal or startup location, even if one is able to select it during startup. So if that's the case I don't see how it can be done automatically (although perhaps the technical reason would allow for it). In addition to that sometimes when I spawn at say KSFO, on a runway before I start multiplayer, I still can't "teleport" to a different location at the airport via the "select airport" menu - I just end up at the same place.

So clearly something isn't functioning properly in various installations, and until it does I don't really know if it's solvable.

In addition to that though I think we'll probably have to accept that many "newbies" as well as others don't want ATC but want to just start FG, see other people and fly, and that default airport (KSFO) "feels like home". So when they spawn they don't really want someone controlling them right off the bat.

My suggestion would be to not do ATC at KSFO at all, and instead focus on nearby airports that people can fly to from KSFO.
Lydiot

Return to Development